tiling with no support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am doing a tiling job but the bath is not flush with the wall, therefreo i have nothing to rest the first tile on and it keeps slipping down.

I appreciate you're not supposed to use the bath as a starting point and should nail a peice of horizontal wood to ensure you have a straight line to start, but I've not done this on the first wall so can't go back now.

As I don't have a lot of room to play with between the bath and wall I can't wedge anything in now, and I can't get under the tile to insert any tacks to support it while it sets

Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Sponsored Links
You should never fix tiles without using a batten; the battens I use are perfectly straight aluminum extrusion, they have to be true or your tiles will be all over the place & the further you go up the wall the worse it will get. It’s usual to fix the batten below the next full tile above the bath & then tile down once your finished the wall; tiles over the bath will usually not be full tiles & need cutting. Can you not line a batten up with the adjacent wall in the same way?

I only have a couple of mm gap at the corner end of the bath, so can't get in to fix a batton.

Are the ali battons you use extendable and re usable (as obviously all jobs are different lengths) ?

I only have a couple of mm gap at the corner end of the bath, so can't get in to fix a batton.
I’m talking about fixing a horizontal batten below the first full tile above the bath; sorry I don’t understand why you can’t get in to fix?

Are the ali battons you use extendable and re usable (as obviously all jobs are different lengths) ?
They are various lengths & re-useable; made from old double glazing window aluminium extrusion I rescued from a site skip some years ago.

Sponsored Links
I guess he thinks he needs to baton from corner to corner, and already had tile close to corner obstructing any baton when he can get away with baton short of the corners as long as it supports more than 1/2 the tile into the corner.? Or maybe I misunderstood too?
I use strips of ali angle and apply with hot glue gun , avoids need to drill walls and is convenient for fixing short lengths quickly and easily and is easy to pop off when finished.Also means I can use several short pieces on a long run so no waste

sorry to disagree about battoning out... ere....i dont baton out at all..

but, what would you do if the wall is tanked???..you cant go Nailing battons to this,you will pierce the tanking thus problems.. ;)

sorry to disagree about battoning out... ere....i dont baton out at all..
but, what would you do if the wall is tanked???..you cant go Nailing battons to this,you will pierce the tanking thus problems.. ;)
I’m honestly surprised you never baton at all but as for piecing the tanking, come on it’s a 3mm hole every 500mm, a squidge of liquid tanking or dab of silicone & it’s repaired! ;)

"If I knew then what I know now" I'd have started with a baton. Howvever, unless I a missing something I would still have the same problem.

There is a gap in the corner of the bath, and due to the fact I cannot access the gap I cannot offer any support to the tile.

I have actually managed to fix the tile in place now by wedging it in place with a couple of improvisations. But should I need to do a similar job again I'd like to make it a bit easier next time

Also, if the wall is bevelled a little, then surely the batons wont stick at both ends. Is this the time to work without batons (or just use two on the 'flat' bits)?

tictic - out of interest, what addy do you use that lets you get away without batons?

tictic - out of interest, what addy do you use that lets you get away without batons?

doesn"t matter what addy i am using...

i tile from my datum line DOWN the way....

also there are a few wee tricks, as how to tile your datum row,with just your spacer pegs..the pressure between peg and tiles,.. and internal corners should be enough to hold in place...

..but...hey..ho what would i know!!!....

tictic - really wasnt having a go, was genuinely interested

Unless your laying paving slabs, you should find that most decent trade adhesives of the correct type & when correctly prepped (I use BAL) will grab very quickly without the need for batten support & once you have the first row up, it’s self supporting. On small broken walls, I agree battens would be pointless & I’ve also use Tictic’s little peg trick but keep your eye on it.

Personally, I would always use a batten on large unbroken walls such as behind the long side of a bath for example. Similarly, on fully tiled walls, I also start the first row half way up the wall & tile both up & down from it, it reduces the risk of accumulative misalignment by 50% relative to if you start at the bottom & just tile up.

Don’t mind Tictic, it’s just his manner. ;)

"
If I knew then what I know now" I'd have started with a baton. Howvever, unless I a missing something I would still have the same problem.

There is a gap in the corner of the bath, and due to the fact I cannot access the gap I cannot offer any support to the tile.

I have actually managed to fix the tile in place now by wedging it in place with a couple of improvisations. But should I need to do a similar job again I'd like to make it a bit easier next time
I’m obviously being thick :confused: as I still can’t imagine the problem but no matter if you’re sorted.

"
Also, if the wall is bevelled a little, then surely the batons wont stick at both ends. Is this the time to work without batons (or just use two on the 'flat' bits)?
I masonry nail or screw my battens; if by beveled you mean not flat, then the walls shouldn’t be that far out or you will inevitably notice it on the finished tile job. Also read my post to TPT but you have to appreciate that advising DIY to use such little tricks can lead to disaster so I’m always careful here. ;)

how you rich,keeping well i hope.. ;)
Hi mate; I'm OK & keeping as busy as I want doing what I want but I seem to be attracting a lot of flak lately. I see Geriatric is back baiting JCT & looking to slag anyone that cares to respond; I’m disappointed with him & still have not heard from him but WTF is DIYnot coming to. Problem is you never really know who your talking to ;)

I suppose, if you end up more or less the sole source of info on any forum, you put yourself up for being shot down on a regular basis but it’s getting a bit tiring. I know you post in short spurts & fits & blitz it but Tiling could really do with some more informed input from you or even some new blood as long as they are not antagonistic & actually know WTF they are talking about; I’m beginning to understand why gcol quit although I don’t have any problems with the folks he did. I can’t be asred with giving OP’s advice & then spending twice as long justifying it to brainless idiots who seem to have no other role in life other than making stupid statements & accusations. Still undecided weather or not to call it a day, I really don’t get all the crap & I’m not getting paid for this after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back