tiling with no support

how you rich,keeping well i hope.. ;)
Hi mate; I'm OK & keeping as busy as I want doing what I want but I seem to be attracting a lot of flak lately. I see Geriatric is back baiting JCT & looking to slag anyone that cares to respond; I’m disappointed with him & still have not heard from him but WTF is DIYnot coming to. Problem is you never really know who your talking to ;)

I suppose, if you end up more or less the sole source of info on any forum, you put yourself up for being shot down on a regular basis but it’s getting a bit tiring. I know you post in short spurts & fits & blitz it but Tiling could really do with some more informed input from you or even some new blood as long as they are not antagonistic & actually know WTF they are talking about; I’m beginning to understand why gcol quit although I don’t have any problems with the folks he did. I can’t be asred with giving OP’s advice & then spending twice as long justifying it to brainless idiots who seem to have no other role in life other than making stupid statements & accusations. Still undecided weather or not to call it a day, I really don’t get all the crap & I’m not getting paid for this after all.

good to hear ya doing ok mate..

re: the numpties,i have decided not to get to involved with them(well unless i have a wee amber necta)...lol..
the site does seem to be attracting some weird ones (the whole site that is)...think the mods need to take more off an interest!!!.....they do on other sites/forums on the web,but do seem a TAD slow on this one...imo..

well till about 10 min ago..... :LOL: :LOL:

as for new blood..well here is hoping....i must admit when some one new does start,i do become a little wary(sorry tpt.. ;) )...cos you don't know if its a wind up or not,some questions do beggar belief...ach well for the pay,maybe you should drop a wee PM to the mods...dont hold your breath tho... :LOL: :LOL: .... ;)

me and more informed input!!...jeez i can hardly sepll...lol...

Sponsored Links
the site does seem to be attracting some weird ones (the whole site that is)...think the mods need to take more off an interest!!!.....they do on other sites/forums on the web,but do seem a TAD slow on this one...imo..
I certainly go along with that; trolls/brickers seem to be destroying many of the serious trade forums which DIYnot have always been one of the best respected IMO.

as for new blood..well here is hoping....i must admit when some one new does start,i do become a little wary(sorry tpt.. ;) )...cos you don't know if its a wind up or not,some questions do beggar belief...ach well for the pay,
A little naivety on original user name but we seem to have got over that, we now have 2 new bloods ;) ! It’s always good to have suppliers & even major company reps post here; we had a BAL guy post a few times a while ago but even he disappeared, god knows why!

maybe you should drop a wee PM to the mods...dont hold your breath tho... :LOL: :LOL: .... ;)
Along with a few other (different trades) that care about the trade forums I do but I’m not holding my breath :cry:

me and more informed input!!...jeez i can hardly sepll...lol...
Now you’re taking the piese you do more than OK m8. ;)

"
If I knew then what I know now" I'd have started with a baton. Howvever, unless I a missing something I would still have the same problem.

There is a gap in the corner of the bath, and due to the fact I cannot access the gap I cannot offer any support to the tile.

I have actually managed to fix the tile in place now by wedging it in place with a couple of improvisations. But should I need to do a similar job again I'd like to make it a bit easier next time
I’m obviously being thick :confused: as I still can’t imagine the problem but no matter if you’re sorted.

"
Also, if the wall is bevelled a little, then surely the batons wont stick at both ends. Is this the time to work without batons (or just use two on the 'flat' bits)?
I masonry nail or screw my battens; if by beveled you mean not flat, then the walls shouldn’t be that far out or you will inevitably notice it on the finished tile job. Also read my post to TPT but you have to appreciate that advising DIY to use such little tricks can lead to disaster so I’m always careful here. ;)

Apologies if I'm not explaining properly, but:

I need to fix a tile to the wall

I have nothing to rest said tile, cuasing it to slip down a little before setting

Due to the small gap bewteen the wall and bath I cannot access the gap to add a baton or support the tile

Fix the batten to the wall above the bath where the bottom of the next tile up is going to be & continue to tile above that. When done, remove the batten & tile down to the top of the bath, cut to size as required to leave a 2mm gap which you silicone when all done; you can wedge the tiles up against the row of tiles you previously put above the batten with tile spacers or whatever. If your tile adhesive won’t grab & hold the tile in place after holding it there for, say, around 30 seconds, you’re either using the wrong adhesive or it’s crap!

Apologies if I'm not explaining properly
It’s probably me; if I’ve still got your predicament wrong post a photo or something otherwise I’m never going to get it. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I cannot understand why you cannot batten the wall? Can you post a picture as it makes no sense what so ever.

I cannot understand why you cannot batten the wall? Can you post a picture as it makes no sense what so ever.

my question now is hypothetical. I have tiled the wall and managed to solve the issue with some improvisation.

However, for next time I'd like to know how tho support that final tile. Even if I had have used a batton, then done the tiles under the batton last, I'd still get the same problem of having nothing to support the bottom tile, as I could not rest it on the batch as the gap is too large

you put your pegs in and tape it up to the tile above, or atleast thats my method.

thanks for the advice, but could someone please tell me the method to this?

Your 'pegs' being the tile dividers? and do you simply put some strong tape half on the new tile and half on the one above?

Pegs AKA spacers, but I never use them on the corners so they are buried in the grout, I use them as pegs so i can remove then and get a good fill with grout. After removing the batten I take a measure of the gap between the bottom of the tiles and the bath / tray and subtract 4 or 5 mm if using 2mm spacers, cut the tile, bed into the adhesive and then pull it up to the top tile, poke in some spacers as pegs and apply tape from the "fresh" tile upto the cured tile above. You end up with a 2 or 3 mm gap which is ideal to get a good squeeze of silicone into for an anchor before tooling over the top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back