Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to ask the opinion of any willing to offer their input. We
recently had our bathroom done by a plumbing company, because I didn't feel
confident trying it myself, and also wanted it done in a reasonable
timespan.

The job has now been finished, but we feel that the standard of work is
unaceptable for what one would expect from a professional.
1) the tiles into the window ledge, have an edge that is exposed, so it is a
huge contrast of the terracotta edge compared to the marble effect white
tile. He covered some of the edge with grouting, but this is clearly a half
hearted job... Is this considered normal, if not, what is normally done?

2) Where the tiles come against the bath there is an untidy smear of
silicon. (the tiles stop about 0.5cm above the bath, once again is this considered the norm)

3) at the meeting of the coving and wall, the tiles are all at differing
heights, once again looking very untidy. (this varies by about 1.5cm is this considered normal)

Unfortunately they have already been paid, but we are not at all happy with
the work.

Does it seem reasonable to all out there to demand that they redo this work.
Does anyone know if I have any options if they refuse.

regards
Bruce

picture links incorrect, please see here for details on how to insert pictures

Sponsored Links
Bruce

Doesnt sound like you are to happy.

1. Have they used tile trim around the window?

2. Silicone should leave a nice neat finish.

3. Do you mean the size of the cut tiles differ. If so this would be due to the slope in your ceiling. As in your ceiling isnt level.

Have a look at www.tileforums.com the guys on there can give you a few pointers. They run a training centre in tile fixing.

Hope this helps

Ty :D

if you are not happy contact them and ask them to come and look at the work if you do not feel it is acceptable. If they are a decent firm they should sort the problems out or at least give some explanation as to why they have done what they have done

Thermo

no they didn't use tiletrim around the window, is this considered normal practice... he tried to cover some of the terracotta edges with grouting, but this has not worked very well. They blamed the uneven tiles on the coving, and I initially took him at his word. However it is tiles in the middle that are the shortest / have the biggest gap between the ceiling, and when I check with a level the coving does appear level.
He also blamed the uneveness on the walls that weren't square, which once again after reflection, it was him that re-assured me that the walls did not need to be plastered firsts (after taking the old tiles off, the wall was full of holes and dents)

the gap between the bath and tiles looks pretty big (about 0.5 - 1cm) is this normal.
regards Bruce

Sponsored Links
no not reasonable to have gaps of 5-10mm nor different coloured edges showing, most tiles have one glazed edge and then its a matter of personal choice as to whether to use trim or not, though trim is the usual way to go nowadays.

To me it sounds very reasonable. You have paid a professional company to carry out a professional job. You should let them know that you are not happy with the quality of work.

If the run of the coving is slopping - as most are - then you would expect the slop to be reflected in the TOP row of tiles only. This slop can be exaggerated if the initial run of tiles was not squared up at the start of the run (i.e not level)
By the sound of your description, your tiler has rough cut the top - and sually the last row- of tiles to fit.

Most walls are uneven and there is not much to be done about that i'm afraid - unless you re-plaster then square! (time consuming and expensive!) it is quite straight forward to "mask" the uneven run into corners. unfortunately this is something that the greatest tiler in the world can do nothing about!

Silicone run 5mm above bath line...Hmm, not ideal, i always tend to set the base row as close to the bath as possible(level permitting)and then bead the silicone into the gap to ensure that it give a good tight seal. You won't be able to decrease the gap as the tiles are now stuck to the wall!!
But if the gap is sealed then i would not worry to much about it. As long as the appearence of the silicone is smooth and even all the way along.

As a rule i would ALWAYS recommend tile trimming as it gives a neater finish around windows and external corners, the other option would have been to mitre the tiles on the reverse side, then when they are offered up it gives a clean finish. Daubing in grout to hide the terracotta biscuit underneath the glaze on the window edging is not professional...it is what you would expect a novice DIY'er would do! !Solution Have them remove the first row around the internal and external edges of the window, chip off the adhesive and re-tile using tile trim!

Get'em back i say, you've paid for it, you deserve value for money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back