Timber framed conservatory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm wanting to build a timber framed conservatory using 8x4 timber. I cant afford oak so any issues in using a treated soft wood or Larch? There are lots of timber described as sleepers that are the right size ie 8x4 or 8x6 and 2.4mtrs length.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20191106-121317.jpg this is the type of look I'm after

Sponsored Links
Larch may be Ok, but not treated softwood - which is typically red or white wood.

You need to consider stability of the timber not just durability, and I doubt timber cut and sold as sleepers would be stable, also if the timber contains sapwood it would be less stable and less durable, so you would need timber selected, seasoned and cut specifically for framing.

Douglas fir?

There is a company on ebay that imports them from France (location is Outwood Surrey).

Timber sleepers sold for garden landscaping are likely to be very wet and poor grain -liable to suffer shrinkage and movement. If you use such a product, keep them stacked up for a while to stabalise.

A structural framed conservatory needs very careful design to ensure water shedding and avoid moisture being trapped, esp as joints will open up. Ive seen plenty of prime oak structures that have leaked

So larch or Douglas fir MIGHT be ok but the whole thing could leak like a colander!

I was hoping for, " it'll be fine just use lots of glue and water repellent wood treatment ".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back