Timber framed garage - my plans & 3D model

Building Control confirmed that it is indeed exempt. From the horses mouth:

I can confirm that as long as the floor area doesn’t exceed 15m2 and its detached and it will not be used for sleeping in then it will be exempt from building Regulations. So based on the below information you are fine to go ahead.

I specifically referenced the closeness to the boundary and the type of construction. The particular BCO has visited the site twice so knows the project well.

For those interested in my original plans, there's a bit of information on 'Pole Barn' or 'Pole & frame' buildings can be found below.

"Pole construction is considered one of the most economical ways to build, and, from a builder's standpoint, it's one of the simplest"
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/construction/projects/build-pole-barns.htm

"Post & frame barn construction is simple and does not require a lot of knowledge to build one."
http://www.barntoolbox.com/pole-barns.htm

I think I'll be following Jason's stud wall on bricks method though (cheers Jason!)

Sponsored Links
A couple of quick questions for Jason (or anyone really!),

Would you use treated timber throughout for the stud work, or just the sole plate? And would you glue the stud frame, or just screw/nail?

I'll have a felt roof too, would the ply (or OSB) be better off as an outdoor grade or does it not really matter?

I'm not after cutting corners, but there's no point in spending unnecessarily either.

Thanks for your advice,
Chris

If you were to build it properly, as in the pictures by Jasonb, the timbers are all above ground and protected from wetting, no treatment is necessary.

Nails to fix it.

If you have an intact membrane, again the boarding should be dry so OSB or ply, ply is more resistant to wetting if you worry that the membranes may one day leak.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back