Timber Framing - Stud Spacing To Match OSB And Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum, I'm part of the way through my build which is being done on a shoe string budget.

I am doing everything myself and after some advice.

I am building a 2 storey steel framed barn/workers rest area, 10m by 5m.
The ground floor is a traditional block/cavity/block wall (nearl done) and the 2nd storey is going to be timber framed resting on the outer leaf of the ground floor blockwork.
20160720_170243.jpg

If I space the studs on 600mm centres this works for the plasterboard 1200mm wide but means every OSB sheet (1220 wide) needs 20mm trimming off?

Sponsored Links
Yes, rip the width and length down if you already have the boards, or source some metric ones.

If the walls are just one board high, you might be able to leave them 2440 high as the extra bit goes over the sole or top plate.

That's exactly what you have to do I'm afraid. You always end to work to the plasterboard. One day the USA will metricate and we'll have metric plywood

Sponsored Links
OSB 3 is 18mm 2400x600 T&G
Lol I can just imagine gluing all those joints.

@Wendelspanswick find a builders/ merchant with a table saw to rip them down for you. It might cost you 50p a cut or something but they will be able to do lots of sheets at once. Then you can just get on with it.

Shouldn't be too bad, it's about 30 sheets of OSB so if I stack them in piles of 5 I can run the handheld circular saw down a batten to trim them.

Wandel you need to understand who you are dealing with if you are buying your stuff from wicks they probably think imperial and metric is the same thing.
Tomfe I stopped using 8x4' sheets about 10yrs ago I was only trying
to make you aware there was a better alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back