Timber Joyce 8 by 2 C24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend to do a dormer conversion intent to use 202 by 202 46kg per meter. The spans runs for 5.5meters with no spine wall support. i intend to make the floor out of 8by 2 c24. the span to long in length? Do I need to break this span by either creating a spine partion or supporting RSJ? Alternatively break the span of 5.5 m and add another steel and then continue the run from the new steel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..I have a height restriction so really don't want to use timbers bigger than 8 inches.

Sponsored Links
200mm x 47mm won't even touch a 5.5m span even at 400mm c/c.

You need a coupla more inches of depth.

Sponsored Links
200mm x 47mm won't even touch a 5.5m span even at 400mm c/c.

You need a coupla more inches of depth.

How about if he reduced the spacing - maybe @ 300??? Just wondering

Or double them up to make 8x4s?

According to the TRADA span tables, you would need floor joists of at least 63 x 220mm at 400 c/c assuming a dead load of not more than 0.25 kN/sq.m, which will span 5.61m.

However, surely you would already have a structural engineer on board who designed the steels, so why not get them to help with the floor? After all, Building Control would request structural engineers' details/calculations anyway.

Use "I" joists instead of timber joists. Spans up 7m+ achievable. You will need a designer though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back