Timber Packing for doorlining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I ve come across the age old problem where the architraves were removed from around a door lining, the plasterer has been in and skimmed, leaving the skim up to 5mm prouder than the width of the door lining.
I've checked this forum and have decided that the best way froward is to pack out the lining to the height of the new plaster skim.

This excellent guide describes the packing process:

http://www.practicaljoineryandcabinetryguides.co.uk/Guide/Internal Door lining Refurbishment.pdf

I have softwood door frames so I'm looking for long lengths of softwood packing approx 5mm thick.

Got a couple of questions please. Can you buy anything commercially for this purpose? - I've seen thin softwood mouldings which look around the right thickness - is this suitable?
Can anyone recommend any quality glue for the job?

Many Thanks in advance
:)

Sponsored Links
Richard Burbidge do a set of moulds going by the name of stripwood. Don’t know what the thickness they come in but you could have a look in the big sheds.

Your other alternative is to find a local old fashion timber suppler /wood yard or a local joinery company who would be willing to cut some strips for you.

Don’t for get the packing can be a little thicker than the plaster as it may easer to fill the back of the new architrave. i.e. if you are looking for 5mm thick strips you may find that you can get 7mm thick strips off the shelf. If this is the case fix the architrave using a panel adhesive ( liquid nails, no nails etc ) this type of adhesive should take out any discrepancies. Once the adhesive as set fully ( 24hrs ) finish with a decorators caulk.

Regarding the glue;

You can use D3 PVA wood glue or panel adhesive as long as it is water based type. I find this is OK. But don’t forget before you apply the adhesive clean off all the muck and bullets from the existing door lining, other wise no glue will be any good.

Ginga - a method we used was to hold the architrave in position, by hand or a couple of temp pins, then scribe or trim with a Stanley knife down the architrave into the plaster; your 5mm = 2 or 3 passes with the blade. An old chisel is then used to remove the plaster strip level with the existing lining. This method allows you to use your architrave without having to pack-out. Finish off with a line of decorators filler.

Guys, so sorry, I'm not been rude and ignoring your posts, our dog chewed through the power supply lead to my laptop and its taken this long to track down a replacement!.I'll look at your posts tonight. Cheers fellas :)

Sponsored Links
Alternatively plane 5mm out of the back of the architrave where it will sit over the plaster

Gents, thanks for the posts. I've packed off with woodstrips and it looks good. The reason I chose this method is that the ( new ) skirting board would be recessed nicely against the architrave, instead of the skirting protruding over the architrave...( my wife doesn't want plinth blocks!... I quite lik'em myself !).
Found some 5mm soft wood moulding to pack off with in Focus. Bit Pricey but spot on for what i needed.Its all being painted and looks quite good. I'll bear in mind the other suggestions for when skirtings not involved. Thanks again :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back