Timber stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use the permitted development rights to build a 3 metre rear extension on my house? There is no prior extension.

Additionally, can I build this with timber stud work, rubber roof and then plaster externally? If yes, do the foundations need to be any less substantial?

I prefer this as I can do all of the work myself and it would look no different externally, once everything is finished.

I can insulate it externally and again, once it is finished internally, it would look the same as a brick construction.

Wanted to check if the building inspectors will be okay with this and if there are any other considerations with this approach.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can I use the permitted development rights to build a 3 metre rear extension on my house? There is no prior extension.

Additionally, can I build this with timber stud work, rubber roof and then plaster externally? If yes, do the foundations need to be any less substantial?

I prefer this as I can do all of the work myself and it would look no different externally, once everything is finished.

I can insulate it externally and again, once it is finished internally, it would look the same as a brick construction.

Wanted to check if the building inspectors will be okay with this and if there are any other considerations with this approach.

Thanks in advance.
Building Control are ok with timber frame. Whether they sign yours off or not will depend upon your grasp of timber frame construction detailing.
Foundations will be masonry up to DPC, with a standard excavation.

My opinion is that there is nothing simple about achieving the latest insulation standards - with ANY build. The reason we go with cavity wall is that it is durable and cost efficient. You may be making a rod for your back, going with timber frame, especially considering the complexities of vapour control, insulation detailing and external finishes. Good luck.

Have a look at sips. The suppliers provide construction details and manuals

Thanks in advance.

Yes of course you can do timber frame, if you are happier constructing in timber, although bear in mind you will need exactly the same foundation and masonry upto DPC.

bear in mind you will need to consider damp arrangements, vapour barrier detailing, air tightness, ventilation of cladding cavity - including detailing of ventilation if the cavity at fascis and window openings, insect protection mesh and

Builders would almost certainly choose to do blockwork in / out cavity construction for an externally rendered extension - I am sure materials and Labour would be cheaper for them.

I recommend searching manufacturers website for detailed construction detailing

for example: tyvek housewrap.

Sponsored Links
The detailing of a timber frame is critical. It's not like knocking up a partition. The fire safety requirements are also more prominent as are the works for protecting the frame from moisture from within and external. You can't just render on the frame either.

There is little scope for future adapting, and if the extension is say a kitchen, then even more care is needed to avoid puncturing the vapour check layer.

So, it is not as easy as it seems if you want to avoid longer term problems. And whilst you may be able to build it yourself, can you design it yourself - and that does not mean where you want the door and windows!

Foundations are the same as for masonry, however a raft can be done but needs an engineer to design. Rules for building close to public drains still apply.

If you're rendering it, a crude (within reason) blockwork cavity wall is extremely DIYable.

It's not like knocking up a partition.
Therein lies my naivety! I thought it would be a bit more than just a stud wall but I think there is more to this then meets the eye. Perhaps, it would be easier (and perhaps cheaper too) to have a block wall construction done by a builder.

Thanks for all the responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back