Timber studwork and thermal bridging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you kind folks advise on the best way for me to insulate my posh shed. The structure is currently from outside > in

featheredge cladding
battens
breather membrane
4x2 studwork

I'm planning on insulating between the studs with rockwool slabs and the internal cladding is going to be t&g pine.

Question is do I need to worry about thermal bridging through the studs, and if I do what is the best way to combat it? I've seen 12mm celotex that I could put underneath the t&g, would this be an ok option?

There is a photo on this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/roofing-guttering/roof-for-new-shed-cabin.401866/

I'm also having some eebygeebies about the construction of the base and whether I need to add some more posts and/or beams?

Sponsored Links
There has been a lot of study, trial and error etc. done on this via the various timber frame companies, trying to find the best way to achieve this. Bear in mind timber has it's own thermal properties which unless your trying for a zero carbon outcome, serves pretty well. The objective pursued has been to seal between insulation and studs, avoid any nails used, cold bridging from the external to the internal surfaces. My advise to you would make the insulation slabs cuts clean and well fitting, tape over the studs to provide a continuous metallic face and rub these joints to ensure good contact, glue on stud extenders to these (no nails or similar) and fix whatever internal cladding you want to this. After all that you must ensure a good air current and moisture extraction system, to clear your moisture/breath etc. ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back