Exterior Framework For Rockwool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, still in a predicament on my exterior summerhouse insulation.

Initially bought Celotex 30mm but was told the foil acting as a vapour barrier could cause mould underneath.

Walls are currently (from inside to outside): Plasterboard > Foil bubble wrap VCL > rockwool + 4x2s studwork > 2x 12mm OSB staggered > breather membrane.

Now I want to add exterior insulation before cladding.

I guess more Rockwool (50mm acoustic) is the right choice cos it allows breathability... but I need to screw some framework to the exterior before adding rockwool, otherwise the cladding will have nothing to screw onto.

Is there some type of metal framework I can use? Like I-beam shaped so I can tuck the Rockwool into it?

Also would the Rockwool attract any moisture seeping in through the cladding? I know they say moisture resistant but mine got wet in the rain and absorbed it like a sponge.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Who told you that? o_O
Don't really wanna leave a gap... seems pointless to do OSB > gap > Celotex > cladding which will take up 50mm altogether when I can get 50mm worth of dense Rockwool and have no gap.

Don't really wanna leave a gap... seems pointless to do OSB > gap > Celotex > cladding which will take up 50mm altogether when I can get 50mm worth of dense Rockwool and have no gap.

Dense rockwool isn't going to do much for heat insulation....

Sponsored Links
Dense rockwool isn't going to do much for heat insulation....
RW3? I have 100mm RW3 in the walls so an additional 50mm I figured would be as good for thermal as 30mm Celotex. Also it's mostly for sound insulation but yes need a bit of thermal too for winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back