Correct way to insulate stud walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im new here, been browsing for a few months and have already found a lot of useful information :cool:

I have a few questions though which i cant seem to find a straight answer to.

I have recently bought a house and am in the middle of re plasterboarding the bedroom and bathroom. I have the walls back to bare brick and timber and am looking to insulate the stud walls if is going to be worth it seen as they are accessible it seems the right thing to do.

However i have been looking up on insulating with celotex or rockwool type insulation, and so far have gathered that celotex (foil board insulation) is more for thermal insulation and rockwool (loose rolled insulation) is best for acoustic insulating?

Now i dont mind whether it is thermal or acoustic insulation i use as both have their benifits, although id sway towards acoustic i think, i just want to know the correct way to install it as im finding a lot of different opinions, some saying leave a 50mm air gap in the studwork, applying a vapour control layer before plasterboard to keep moisture out, packing rockwool tightly into the studwork.

I dont want to end up with issues later down the line so want to do it properly now, so my question is, what is the proper way to insulate a stud wall (other walls will just be dot and dabbed without insulation) and does it have to be done differently in the bathroom if being fully tiled? is moisture resistant plasterboard required if fully tiled also?

Thank you in advance for any help, oh and here are some pictures of the rooms in question

bedroom

bathroom

Sponsored Links
Done mine like this
And then can't show you that well but like this with the membrane (green sheet).
We've then plasterboard over and skimmed, all is well.

Also why are you studing the bathroom? Just tile straight onto brick or stud it with very slim wood and use hardiebacker board. I didn't insulate my bathroom so can't really comment.

thanks for the pics, the studwork is just what is already there forming the internal walls of the room, there are 2 stud walls and 2 brick external walls, i need the walls to be nice and plumb to tile onto so i am going to dot and dab plasterboard to them and tile ontop of that

thanks for the pics, the studwork is just what is already there forming the internal walls of the room, there are 2 stud walls and 2 brick external walls, i need the walls to be nice and plumb to tile onto so i am going to dot and dab plasterboard to them and tile ontop of that

Yeah we have more batons behind what you can see there I wanted 50mm jab lite to fit in so batton'd out even more 😜, don't plasterboard behind where the shower is going in the bathroom, even if you're tiling onto it, if water ever gets through the grout in the slightest u know plasterboard, it will just disintegrate. I've used hardiebacker behind where showers goin and plasterboard Around the rest for example;
Bathroom looked like;
View media item 89573 View media item 89572So far;
View media item 89574To
View media item 89575

Sponsored Links
External wall - best thermal performance

Internal wall - best acoustic performance
Exactly. There's no point fitting foam to internal studwork - you want acoustic grade mineral. It only needs 50mm. For external brick or block walls fit thermal laminate plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back