Question on noise insulation of different walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a reconfiguration and am wondering on noise insulation on the walls around a downstairs shower room/toilet that is in the process of being built. Its only approx 1mx3m. The room borders four different other rooms, but it is the walls adjacent to (1) the hall and (2) the lounge that I have questions.

I do understand that noise insulation is quite complicated and to be done right might need quite a number of things for the best result - but I'm trying to make the best of what is available here so can't go lock stock on the matter.

The wall to the lounge is mostly brick or breeze block but one portion is an old door which has been closed using studwork. My question on this whether you would get better noise insulation from (a) studwork with some Rockwool RW5 (or similar), acoustic plasterboard on one side, standard on the other or (b) breeze block with acoustic plasterboard on one side, standard on the other.

For the wall to the lounge, this is studwork although I can make it a bit deeper (i.e. more than 4inch studs) to get more insulation in and could double board in on the toilet side. Does anyone know which level of noise insulation rockwool (RWA 45 or RW3 or RW5) is best at absorbing 'noises associated with a person visiting the toilet'?

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
For noise you need mass (weight) and isolation. If you are a curry fan you can go for two isolated stud frames with boards on different frames and heavy wool between, but if you're not bashful just double board and fill with wool. We only have single board and wool which is OK to the utility room but wouldn't be to the living room.

if you have the opportunity to wall it up with bricks or blocks, do. The heavier the better. Leave no gaps.

Thanks for the replies. Think this has confirmed what I was thinking. Will block and board the hall wall. Will go for a double stud frame with some dense acoustic rockwool.

What do you do too isolate the stud frames, is it a case of both attached to side walls and ceiling but not too each other, or attached to some kind of separator between them. Is it this http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Basically like double glazing only touching at the edges. The separator would be dense wool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back