Timber to support under bath feet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Specifically what timber should be used for providing support under the feet of a rectangular steel bath?

Should it be one full sheet of 25mm thick plywood which is just slightly less than the bath width/length?

Or four sections of timber under each foot? If so, what size?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The ply would be just fine.....I normally use two 9" strips, one under the fronts, one under the rears, just less than the bath width.
John :)

Timber is not ideal as it moves and wet can swell and break bath seal allowing further leakage.Brick or similar are a better choice IMO.

Timber is not ideal as it moves and wet can swell and break bath seal allowing further leakage.Brick or similar are a better choice IMO.

I haven't heard of using something other than timber before.

Do you mean, a brick under each foot? What about something like a concrete paving slab, cut to size?

Also, I'm aware that a timber baton should be attached to the wall to rest the edge of the bath on it before sealing up. This helps to prevent the seal from breaking due to movement of the bath. Is there risk that this timber baton could expand due to moisture?

Sponsored Links
It certainly shouldn't be wet under there.....if it is, there sure is a problem! I've no problem with spreading the bath feet weight with ply.
Before you apply the sealant between bath and wall, fill it with water.....this settles the bath with the weight involved.

Before you apply the sealant between bath and wall, fill it with water.....this settles the bath with the weight involved.

Ok, so fill the bath full with water first. That's a good idea.

It certainly shouldn't be wet under there.....if it is, there sure is a problem! I've no problem with spreading the bath feet weight with ply.
Don't think I have removed many baths that did not have some signs of water damage under them.

Me too, usually at the sides or tap end - but rarely serious enough to soak the floor boards below!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back