Time to make a stand on fuel TAX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok which of you would risk arrest to get your point over

i am seriously thinking we need to do this

go to a garage put in 5 gallon of go juice then do your sums so you get to the cost of the fuel minus the tax our government has put on

then pay only that giving your name and address so the tax man can send you a demand in due time

if enougth of us done this what would happen

would we be arrested
is it a crime

those of you that are more educated on the legal side of things please reply on the repurcussions of this action

WE ARE BEING SHAFTED BY OUR OWN GOVERNMENT

Sponsored Links
US military personnel and their families (and presumably all non-EU military personnel, but I don't know any non-US) can reclaim the duty on petrol they buy and use in this country. Seems daft, as they are still using our roads, but that is how it is done.

So, simply marry a US servicewoman and you can do what you propose quite legally Slogger. :D

Personally, I'm quite attached to my freedom and my future employment prospects, so I'm in no hurry to get arrested over the price of fuel. My only quibble is that the tax we pay isn't spent on transport, and that they offer us no alternative. If they took that tax and spent it on a 21st century public transport system, cheap and useful for all, then I wouldn't mind so much. But there is no reasonable alternative to fossil-fuelled cars at the moment.

AdamW said:
US military personnel and their families (and presumably all non-EU military personnel, but I don't know any non-US) can reclaim the duty on petrol they buy and use in this country. Seems daft, as they are still using our roads, but that is how it is done..

That explains a lot - I live near a US base and obviously, as they couldn't possibly suffer the indignity of having to drive a European car, they have to have great big American cars imported. Consequently, the local paper eventually gets lots of second-hand Mustangs and Chryslers advertised which I always kinda' fancy but know that I couldn't possibly afford to run. Which then leads me to be a bit miffed that a US soldier earns enough to run one, but now I understand why..........

johnny_t said:
AdamW said:
US military personnel and their families (and presumably all non-EU military personnel, but I don't know any non-US) can reclaim the duty on petrol they buy and use in this country. Seems daft, as they are still using our roads, but that is how it is done..

That explains a lot - I live near a US base and obviously, as they couldn't possibly suffer the indignity of having to drive a European car, they have to have great big American cars imported. Consequently, the local paper eventually gets lots of second-hand Mustangs and Chryslers advertised which I always kinda' fancy but know that I couldn't possibly afford to run. Which then leads me to be a bit miffed that a US soldier earns enough to run one, but now I understand why..........

You would actually want to drive an american car!! you know we have corners in this country. In terms of price / performance, I reckon US cars must be the most expensive in the world.

Sponsored Links
I agree!

Build quality is also rather shocking in the (admittedly budget-level) US cars I have been in. Minor details like the finish on the wheel-arches (or is it more worrying that I notice that!).

I wouldn't mind an Escalade or something, mind. But only if I could fuel it responsibly and cheaply.

Come on don't begrudge the American forces some perks they do a good job here, after all if it wasn't for them who else would keep all those lesbians from invading airfields?

Back