Timing the use of a single radiator....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom radiator is plumbed in seperately from the rest of the radiators in the house.

I have a couple of lodgers & 1 is inclined to warm up the bathroom before a bath [ or whatever ] and they leave the radiator on when they leave.

This obviously costs me big bucks in having to heat that 1 radiator 24/7 until I notice.

Is there a timed flow valve - similar to those used with commercial showers [ pools/gyms etc ] where the flow could be set for, say, 15 minutes. I did consider those mentioned above but they list as running for 20 odd seconds..... The flush mount press button 1 wouls have been nice mounted on the floor by the radiator.

Thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
Ookysoft said:
The bathroom radiator is plumbed in seperately from the rest of the radiators in the house.

I have a couple of lodgers & 1 is inclined to warm up the bathroom before a bath [ or whatever ] and they leave the radiator on when they leave.

This obviously costs me big bucks in having to heat that 1 radiator 24/7 until I notice.

Is there a timed flow valve - similar to those used with commercial showers [ pools/gyms etc ] where the flow could be set for, say, 15 minutes. I did consider those mentioned above but they list as running for 20 odd seconds..... The flush mount press button 1 wouls have been nice mounted on the floor by the radiator.

Thoughts please?

you could use a 2port valve controlled by a timer?

Plumbed in separately
:
Do you mean it's plumbed into the hot water loop and operates along with the hot water? That would be one of the conventional arrangements. If so, the rad will only get hot while the hot water is being heated. As soon as the HW timer goes off or the cylinder stat is satisfied, it'll be turned off.

Or did you mean something else?

You could use an infra-red (pir) detector/timer as used for lighting to open a valve only when someone is in the room and pushes a button.

Or a thermostat in much the same way. If cold and button pressed then valve opens, held there by the normal auxilliary switch on the valve. When warm, stat opensand valve springs shut.

Or a time delay lightswitch as used in stairways of flats....

Watch out for electrical regs in bathrooms; you can get momentary action pullcord switches.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm! Food for thought there....

In response to a question.... It seems to be plumbed in directly from the boiler pipework & not the domestic hot water - not easy to tell from the spaghetti in the boiler room. The effect is, you turn it on 24/7 and it gets hot. It may circulate by convection & be given a push when the pump starts up.

Anyway, the current rad valve ensures an on/off action so I was planning to pop something inline to substitute for that but leaving the current valves intact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back