Tinted / opaque corrugated plastic roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the corrugated plastic roof on a large'ish garden shed.

I know corrugated plastic is looked down upon a bit but it's the only type of roof it's had in a long life and the last time I replaced it was about 20 years ago so I don't have a problem with it's life span per se.

Obviously over time the clear plastic does go opaque which helps with light levels - when the roof is new it's like being in a green house so I've been searching the net for tinted or opaque corrugated plastic and it doesn't seem to exist. I know I can buy 'opal' square section twinwall but I don't really want to have the added expense and hassle of fitting all the additional bars and joint covers.

As an alternative, I was thinking of some sort of shading fitted first, maybe something like greenhouse shading but it's rather expensive.

Just wonder if anyone has come across this problem and what they used in terms of roofing and/or shading.

Many thanks for your time.

Nick

Sponsored Links
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Correx-S...tic-2mm/123670762389?var=&hash=item1ccb5a1395

The only thing I can think of would be black cortex secured in a similar fashion to the corrugated plastic using screws and plastic cover caps. You could double it up to get a little more robustness.

My only other suggestion would be the polycarbonate twinwall you referred to already or good old fashioned roofing felt with cold applied bitumen. Roofing felt has a bad reputation but it lasts 10-15 years if you do a proper job.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I am sure that I have seen blueish pvc?
Buy a sheet of standard and try some kind of of paint/stain?

That scaffold netting is a great shout lostinthelight (y) wonder what its lifespans like in strong sunshine ?

To be honest I'd just pay a bloke £100 + materials to refelt if you can't be bothered. Job done problem solved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back