Tiny house renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a tiny, 1 bed terrace house. I have had lots of stress thinking about it. Completion on the purchase is 2 weeks away. I have been dithering about buying it or not. Pulling out or not. 4 months since offer accepted and many delays due to searches and slow solicitors!

Why am i dithering about buying it? Because of its narrow size. But, my daughter and ex think it will be cosy when renovated and cheap when it comes to bills.

I am a cash buyer and surveyor noted that these tiny houses can be problematic when selling as banks dont usually give mortgages on them!?

The property was built around 1900.

Front door opens into living room.

I am aiming to completely renovate the house if i stay the course and complete.

New windows and doors. Especially a new, draught free front door as no room outside for a porch or inside for a hallway. I guess a good quality composite will be needed?

New kitchen, which is narrow and tiny.

New bathroom

New flooring throughout.

New rendering at the front.

New decorating

Not sure if i should get the micro bore replaced for 15mm. Plus, maybe a new boiler too.

Going to open up fireplace and install a wood / multi fuel burner.

Electrics too may need some work. Not much though as was rewired several years ago.

New ridge tiles needed.

Some work in the garden too (fencing etc).

Most of the work i will get done. Age(58) and back issues stopping me from getting stuck in myself.

I am nervous about buying such a tiny house! Neighbours very close either side! Yikes! Obviously walls are quite thick.

Any advice welcome........be it about materials or small house living!

Pic of house. Its the narrow one in the middle! Lol

Lumii_20220507_024555995.jpg

Sponsored Links
Think I understand some of your nervousness, Out of curiosity, How wide is the lounge?

I had a small old cottage before (not as narrow as your picture) but had a front door opening into dining. Room, which I never really liked. The lounge was small.

Fortunately due to its layout and positioning (Detached, but close) it was quite private, neighbours weren’t an issue.

sunlight was an issue though, as tall neighbours house would block out most of the sun from courtyard garden.
Being close to road meant blinds were usually down to stop gawpers looking in.
This made it a dark house.

Work needing to be done can rack up the costs, more so if you are not doing the work yourself. Sounds like you have a fairly long list to do.

Could you find another property in this area that requires less work? Even if it costs a bit more to buy?

Small houses aren’t always Very cheap to run, It depends on how well insulated, boiler efficiency, what kind of windows... etc.

Hope this helps?

(y)

I would say it depends on what your intentions are. If you are looking to make a quick killing then it depends on the buying price & the ceiling price of similar properties nearby. Sounds like it needs a few £K spending on it, but many of the things you mention most people would do when moving into a new home anyway.
If it is going to be your home for the foreseeable future then how much you spend on refurbishment is less important as you can make it as comfortable as you want without worrying about what you have spent on it ( assuming you don't pay too much initially).
Where I live 2up/2downs are quite common & usually starter homes for young couples who keep for a couple of years & then move on, but I would have thought at your age it would be more than adequate for your needs unless you have some unusual activities.
In your position, personally that is the sort of property that I would choose. It will not restrict you from locking up & leaving if you like to travel regularly & probably has good rental potential if your situation suddenly changes.
So to me it is all about purchase price compared to other properties.
You also need less I the way of materials (carpets, paint kitchen units etc. etc.) so les expensive to renovate. Being mid terrace energy bills should be low. You won't need a massive TV so more savings there.
If you mean the cream house in the middle I can't really understand from the pic why you would replace door & windows & render

Last edited:
Render is cracked, windows and door old double glazing. Need better energy efficient ones.

House costing £66k. One bed.

Two beds in the area go for around £120k or more.

Not sure on lounge width. I would guess maybe max 10ft...not sure.

I could move in and do nowt. But, i want to update it and make modern and cosy.

May look to see if i can build onto single extension at rear but not sure about current footings or wall construction.

Attic room would be good but not sure if space available up there.

Sponsored Links
Up here a bedroom seems to add £30K so with all your other jobs it may not be financially viable to extend.
But do you really need more space, are you at work all day or home most of the time.
The more space you have the more junk you will store & if it is a case of needing room for occasional visitors then a sofa bed is far cheaper than an extension.
However if you are having these feelings already then you may well be better giving back word & looking for a house that has the features you want. Must say though you have left it a bit late for the sellers.

Up here a bedroom seems to add £30K so with all your other jobs it may not be financially viable to extend.
But do you really need more space, are you at work all day or home most of the time.
The more space you have the more junk you will store & if it is a case of needing room for occasional visitors then a sofa bed is far cheaper than an extension.
However if you are having these feelings already then you may well be better giving back word & looking for a house that has the features you want. Must say though you have left it a bit late for the sellers.

Yes, i agree.
As for the seller, well, it is a tough deal if i pull out but, these things happen.

Will see tomorrow when i go to view again.

Well, daughter and i went to look at the tiny house today.

The vendor had stripped the house of all furniture etc. Empty. Thing is, i still felt claustrophobic!! It felt like the walls were closing in on me!

Plus, it seemed much smaller than my last visit. Weird i know...

So, looks like i will be pulling out of the purchase

I just cant see me living there now. Taking everything out of the house has certainly opened my eyes to how small the place actually is

Spent £700 so far. Will have to pay solicitor for work carried out so far too.

Vendor will be very unhappy! I will offer to pay for their legal fees if need be. I aint no bad guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back