Tipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tipping (just seen an item about it on the breakfast news) do you tip ? who do you tip and how much ?
We just got back from France, having had a nice meal and the waiter was good with the kids but we didnt know wether to tip or not, the bill seemed to suggest that the tip was included so we asked the waiter. he was very grumpy, said its up to us and throw the money into the till so we didnt tip him. I googled it later and it said we should have left 5 euro.

Sponsored Links
Even if there is a service charge (tipp) added to the bill & you think you have had very service, you can still leave extra.

I give the Postie a fiver, but that's about all. I don't think it's the customers place to subsidise an empoyers employees - they should pay them a proper wage in the first instance. If someone is self-employed and goes way out of their way to help me - then yes I do.

Even if there is a service charge (tipp) added to the bill & you think you have had very service, you can still leave extra.
being abroad I was worried about insulting them!! I now it sounds stupid but it was a bit posh and stuff.
Hows about Taxis?

Sponsored Links
I'm with Joe on this one in the main, logically the service charge on the bill should cover the usual level of service, and a tip be given if the waiting staff go out their way to help you etc.

Unfortunatly in some cultures, its not the way it seems to work, in the US for instance waiting staff can (and quite often are) paid below minimum wage with the expecation that they'll earn a certain amount of tips...

One thing I hate about being on holiday is the feeling of obligation to tip.

Waiters, chambermaids etc are only being friendly in the expectation that they will be getting a nice tip at the end of your stay. :rolleyes:

A tip is a gratuity payment and should be just that, leave one if you wish.
There should be no expectation of it.
Agree with above about unscroupolous employers paying low wages because of tips.

In a restaurant in vegas 5 mates (none had been in states before) chipped in for a meal and said keep the change, waiter come back and gave them change ,they again said keep it. He looks at them in disgust and says no thats your change then walks away.
Had to explain to them he wanted a lot more as the tip. Funny though they all tipped the lap dancers later :LOL:

Some serving staff in restuarants in America depend entirely on tips for their wages. So 10% is the accepted ( and expected ) normal.

It goes as far that in some of the more popular restuarant the serving staff may buy hours to work knowing the tips will be good. Even going as far as the management auctioning off the "best" hours to the highest bidder.

(source from an American student who bought hours in a restaurant near Washington)

That's Amazing Bernard, It's hard to believe in a country where they vehemently defend their rights to keep the price of fuel down yet they can allow people to work for negative wages :eek: a real eye opener!

My daughter did a year at University of Maryland reading American Studies.

From which I got very different picture of American life.

I've heard that the American people are rather rude and quite unfriendly to tourists apart from people in the service industry. :(

Not been myself but a few people have said that!

big city might be as they are overexposed to human contact.

small towns and states with low population density are the reverse.

Lucky enough to have been to Florida 3 times stayed once on Walts site the other times on international drive never found any one rude,we found that the food was so cheap that a 10% tip was still within budget,and you were well looked after.

Been various places in the states, in total about ten times and on the whole have found them very friendly and they do have a good sense of humour.Women tend to be a bit mouthy but aren`t they the world over

Sponsored Links
Back