Tipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last weekend I and a few friends went on a sort of stag weekend do to Munich. Loverly place if a trifle expensive but then so is anywhere that has the euro.
However, what did irritate us was the attitude towards tipping. It seemed to be expected all the time and for anything.
In the Hofbrauhouse (Hitler's local) we were served by a waiter who had a face that didn't know how to smile and was simply offhand and rude. He cocked up the first order bringing too many drinks and expecting us to pay for the extra and short changed us by 2 euros. With the second round (well it is nice beer) he put the change down and we put it in our pockets, he then asked where we were from . "Birmingham" we told him and he moved off saying something about people not tipping from birmingham.
In other places stopping for a tea or coffee there was no attempt to give us the small change and it was just taken for granted that this was a tip.
I don't mind tipping in a resturant but for just bringing a beer or coffee over is a bit too much I feel.
I really think tipping is not right and like the Japannesse view that it is insulting but we seem to have got into this spirial.

Sponsored Links
Last weekend I and a few friends went on a sort of stag weekend do to Munich. Loverly place if a trifle expensive but then so is anywhere that has the euro.
However, what did irritate us was the attitude towards tipping. It seemed to be expected all the time and for anything.
In the Hofbrauhouse (Hitler's local) we were served by a waiter who had a face that didn't know how to smile and was simply offhand and rude. He cocked up the first order bringing too many drinks and expecting us to pay for the extra and short changed us by 2 euros. With the second round (well it is nice beer) he put the change down and we put it in our pockets, he then asked where we were from . "Birmingham" we told him and he moved off saying something about people not tipping from birmingham.
In other places stopping for a tea or coffee there was no attempt to give us the small change and it was just taken for granted that this was a tip.
I don't mind tipping in a resturant but for just bringing a beer or coffee over is a bit too much I feel.
I really think tipping is not right and like the Japannesse view that it is insulting but we seem to have got into this spirial.

i agree with you... but only because i am English through and through..

the expression "when in Rome" holds a lot of water.... you can't blame the German geezer for living by German/European traditions, even in a touristy place...

In the club I go to, the girls always want a tip.

I do not mind, but they still want the fiver even if it was a crap dance :evil:

Sponsored Links
In some places in the UK a 10% tip is included in the price.
Usually its a good idea to read up on tipping before going on holiday, sometimes it is customary to tip a percentage and the waiter/waitress depends in tips to make any kind of living.

In some places in the UK a 10% tip is included in the price.
Usually its a good idea to read up on tipping before going on holiday, sometimes it is customary to tip a percentage and the waiter/waitress depends in tips to make any kind of living.

In Florida it makes up part of the service person's take home pay !

It used to in this country until quite recently.
One company in the news one night used to demand to know what tips his staff got then drop their actual wages by the same amount. In other words he was getting 100% of their tips. He was ordered to stop or face jail.

Tommy Cooper had the right idea...On leaving a taxi he would slip a teabag into the drivers top pocket saying.."Have a drink on me"...I'd love to have seen their faces when they found out... :)

Never whistle with a mouth full of peanuts.

Best tip I ever heard. :LOL:

A few years back we were skiing in Whistler, a waiter was good entertainment, when we paid for the meal, we left what we thought was a good tip.
He said this is not enough, didnt beat about the bush, straight out with it.

Its funny what you tip for and what don't

Tip. Barbers, waiters and waitresses,cabbies, porters

Don't tip anyone else .......why

Agreed spacey , I've very rarely been tipped for my job.
Imamartian is correct in what he says too and if I recall correctly taxation is often based on the assumed level of tips in many places.
I think that because we are used to actually walking up to the bar to get a drink in this country that we found it a bit off to tip someone to actually bring it over , even though we had no other choice but to be waited on.

I think that because we are used to actually walking up to the bar to get a drink in this country that we found it a bit off to tip someone to actually bring it over , even though we had no other choice but to be waited on.
When we abroad we leave the change, probably because we dont want a pocket full of c*****p.

best tips ive ever heard,

dont eat yellow snow

dont pee/puke into the wind

and ****e runs downhill.

Sponsored Links
Back