Tips And Advice For Keeping Desktop PC Running Well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Acer Aspire desktop pc with Windows 7. In the past, my other computers seemed to slow down as they aged and presumably became bogged down with stuff. I want to try and avoid the same thing with my 18 month old pc.

Can the experts recommend ways of keeping my pc running efficiently and keep it from slowing down.

I'm thinking of things like clearing cache's, defrag, etc and any programmes I should be running on a regular basis to clear unnecessary data, etc and maintain things. A list of regular tasks to keep things running well would be great. I'm far from being an expert, so please keep things uncomplicated. :oops:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I run System Mechanic by IOLO works well for me.

There are free ones out there but I prefer to use a paid one, "you get owt for nowt in this world" oh I'm such a pessimist!

An even simpler way is preventing all updates (including MS) and if you want total health, ensuring it never connects to the internet.

Dual boot Linux and only use Windows for stuff you just cant do using Linux.

And considering Linux does just about everything......

Sponsored Links
A good tip is to not install crap.

All the little programs that do this and that, that give you fancy doodahs on your desktop and fancy icons and pointers.

If you have things like adboe reader etc turn off all the live features that want to use resources all the time, update manually.

Maintain regular defrag, av scans etc.
Empty recycle bins when your sure you dont need stuff, keep the kids away from it.

When you download anything to install updates, you can remove the download once the updates are installed. I find uniblue registry booster is very good also. Simple things like only installing software that you will need/use regularly. Keeping an external hard drive for storage of any files, especially larger files. Having a good amount of RAM. AT least 4GB will make a big difference. And deleting internet history and cookies avery few weeks can also help.

The best cleanup utility software is Reginout, its provides various features that make your PC maintenance job easier. It automates the difficult tasks and scanning through it is safe and tested on hundreds of thousands of PCs all over the world.

Following are the main benefits of using Reginout:-

- Repair and clean registry errors crashes and freezes in applications and programs.
- Optimize and speed up internet through the internet optimizer feature.
- Clean up the backyard.
- System Cleanup Registry Cleaner
- Internet Optimizer feature Services Optimizer
- Defragmenter Startup Manager

Thanks

Regular maintenance is required. :)

If you have adobe reader get rid of it and install foxit reader!!!

1. Get a 2nd disk drive (internal is fine), needs to be a separate physical drive, not just another partition on the existing
2. Determine how much space your existing disk needs for just operating system and applications (not data)
3. Split the 2nd disk drive into 2 partitions: one for your data, and one approx. 30% bigger than your space needed on the 1st (step 2)
4. Change "My Documents", "My Pictures", "downloads" etc to the 2nd disk drive, ie store all your data on the 2nd disk, not the 1st.
5. Download Clonezilla and put it onto a bootable CD. You can leave this in your disc drive permanently, and arrange the BIOS to boot from 1st hard disc. If you need to boot from CD, you can use the boot menu or go back into the BIOS and alter it again
6. Using Clonezilla, clone the 1st disk onto a file and store it on the 2nd partition (the non-data one) of the 2nd disk drive
7. Regularly back up your data (which is on the 2nd disk drive) onto a folder in the free space of the 1st. Write a suitable batch file for this (robocopy with various options to only update changed files is the command to use!)

That way if you have a catastrophic disk failure in either disk, you've covered. Also if you do something funny, or your operating system 'dies', a restore to fully working OS and all your installed software can be done in about 20 mins.

If you use POP3 email, and if you have too much to keep a backup on the mail folder of your email provider, then use something that stores the emails in files, and can be easily restored, and KNOW where the email (data) files are being stored!

If you have adobe reader get rid of it and install foxit reader!!!
Something that could be considered. Since Firefox and Chrome include PDF readers, either can be set as the default reader for online PDFs and for those stored on the computer. Maybe no need for Foxit or other reader. Just thought that worth a mention.

The best tip I always offer to people after fixing their computers is this...

Don't just click okay when installing freebies. If it wants to install a toolbar uncheck that option. If it won't install without unwanted rubbish then leave it alone.

Run crapcleaner once a week and use a decent antivirus.

I totally recommend webroot for its simplicity.

Also don't use things like system mechanic. These utilities just do what windows can do except they're adding more layers on top of the operating system .

Stick to crapcleaner and be careful with your installs and you will be fine.

Keasy has given great advice (short and sweet) and paulc2 has too, although it's much more involved. I would just like to add in the paulc2 vein, that you would benefit from:
- Looking into a second internal HD to back up to (I switch mine on and off when I need it)
- Read up on the advantages of keeping an "image" of your PC on the second HD. This can be done with EaseUS to do backup or Paragon (depending on how you do it). You can then keep the big file you make of your PC's image on the second drive along with your data backups (photos, docs, music etc). If you get to do this, I bet you'll never look back. The secret is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP so you can restore everything when you need it. MS backup I have found good for data backup but not that great for the image. Have fun ; - )
PS also be mindful of the length of the file paths (I.e. folders in folders in folders in folders in folders) because when you go to back stuff up that's too deep things get a bit tiresome.

I'm more brutal - just re-install windows every year or so.
It's inevitable crap builds up on your computer.
If you can be disciplined enough to save your data in one location, copy your favourites and bits on a usb, wipe and re-install.

Some i use to good effect, all listed in the software sticky at the top of this forum list.
Atf cleaner
ccleaner
defraggler
malwarebytes

Sponsored Links
Back