tips for a newbie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had 2 quotes so far for doing my kitchen both in the 500 region... sounds too much for me so I'm going to try and do some of it myself...

some walls are back to bare brick and I intend to Dot N Dab boards onto them.

do i need to unibond the walls before sticking the adhesive onto it? ( unibond is the good old white school PVA glue isn't it? )

is it better to apply the adhesive to the wall or the back of the boards?

a good dollop every 10-12 inches sound about right?

square edge boards or taper edge? don't know if i'll get them skimmed or just tape and joint them.. gonna be tiled / covered with cabinets with whatever isn't being wallpapered...

if I go the tape and joint route, is it a good idea to unibond over the boards after it's all dry to "seal" them from the tile / wallpaper adhesive.. ?

on some jobsites i have been on, if they are skimming the boards after, tehy put them on brown side out...? is that right because the boards have "plaster this side" on the white side now..?

Sponsored Links
Brown side of plasterboard goes to the wall!! White side should be facing you! Also, make sure you score the board on the brown side to cut it!

Before you start trying to bond, make sure you have pre-measured and have ready your boards. Bonding has a limited working time before it goes solid. Ensure that the ceiling edge is butted up to correctly as the lower edge will be concealed by skirting.

Bonding is applied to the wall in reasonable chunks. I do four blobs across the width of the board and ensure there are four on the vertical (4x4=16 per board) You can put a lot more around the area where skirting will be as this will pad out the area.

Make sure you have a large spirit level (6ft) to b able to straighten out the bowing of the boards.

£500 quid may sound a lot but if you cock it up then you'll have wasted a lot of money.

Good luck! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back