Tips for affixing long sections of exterior pvc trim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding pvc quadrant trim to a large 2x1.5m uPVC window to weatherproof.
I thought this would be the easy finishing touch but I'm having a right time getting the adhesive on a long bendy bit of plastic neatly!

Should I be getting glue (I'm using white Sticks Like ****) on both sides to stick and seal, or do a second pass with sealant after it's set?
My window frame is metal, not white, and I'm nervous getting glue all over it in case it's hard to clean up.

Sponsored Links
You want super glue an activator bit like mitre bond for pvc but be careful as once it hits you're never move it

And then seal afterwards presumably.

It's a big of a pain I've got to do this up a ladder, so pre gluing the sections I'm probably going to get up there and find it's stuck on my hand :) I was waving a 5' length around with a skeleton gun in the other hand like right idiot, decided I'd stop and get some advice before I made a dog's dinner of it!

Use masking tape to help hold.
Just a few blobs and give it an hour to cure. Then run mastic along.
C-Tec Multisolve from Toolstation or Wickes will clean off polymer mastic easy.

CT1 also sell a Cleaner.

Super glue is too strong and no give in summer heat causing cracks. Has its place but could get in a mess

Sponsored Links
If it's an opening window get an assistant to help hold the trim by leaning out the window, should make it much more manageable if they can hold the weight whilst you position.

Use masking tape to help hold.
Just a few blobs and give it an hour to cure. Then run mastic along.
C-Tec Multisolve from Toolstation or Wickes will clean off polymer mastic easy.

CT1 also sell a Cleaner.

Super glue is too strong and no give in summer heat causing cracks. Has its place but could get in a mess
Thanks, sounds I was trying to do 2 jobs at once no wonder it wasn't going well.

The skeleton gun has always been my most hated tool. I've learned so much over the last few years but this always seems to go wrong no matter how careful I am or how much I watch others for advice

I'm adding pvc quadrant trim to a large 2x1.5m uPVC window to weatherproof.
I thought this would be the easy finishing touch but I'm having a right time getting the adhesive on a long bendy bit of plastic neatly!

Should I be getting glue (I'm using white Sticks Like ****) on both sides to stick and seal, or do a second pass with sealant after it's set?
My window frame is metal, not white, and I'm nervous getting glue all over it in case it's hard to clean up.
Apply adhesive into corner of the frame and push in trim, do not try to glue the trim first.
I prefer fixall, good instant grab.
For really long lengths I also use a hot glue gun as it grabs instantly on a cold frame and prevents lift-off.

Just to clarify, do I need to glue both sides or is it ok/best to glue one side only, then seal up to it on the other? I.e. is the glue only there to hold it in place so it can be sealed later?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back