Tips on attachin insulation to loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Any tips on best way to attach insulation to loft hatch ?

I guess glue / double sided tape might be best ?

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
In our old house, we used a lump of Celotex/Kingspan and used no-nails to glue it to the panel.

You can usually find a good sized piece in skips or leftovers from someone doing some building work.

i used 2 thin battens over the insulation and screwed them into the hatch timber.this was an upright hatch in a stud wall.

Sponsored Links
I got a thing called a HatchThatch its brilliant insulates and draught proofed in one go. Only takes 1 min to fit as well.

There's probably as many ways of doing it as there are loft hatches in the country.....

.....Piece of fibreglass insulation in a bin bag / rubble sack. Sack stuck to the back of the hatch.

Sounds a simple enough solution. The problem with it is that the plastic bag is flammable and would not pass the BS FR tests.

As a lawyer I know how well insurance companies reject claims. They need little excuse to say "No" and the last thing I'd want, if my house has burnt down, is a big fight, that I'd probably lose, with an insurer.

Sounds a simple enough solution. The problem with it is that the plastic bag is flammable and would not pass the BS FR tests.

As a lawyer I know how well insurance companies reject claims. They need little excuse to say "No" and the last thing I'd want, if my house has burnt down, is a big fight, that I'd probably lose, with an insurer.

Strange, because ready made loft hatches that comply are made of plastic and insulated with polystyrene, both inflammable. :?:

Strange, because ready made loft hatches that comply are made of plastic and insulated with polystyrene, both inflammable. :?:

Both will be flame retardant/self extinguishing and will not suport combustion. But there is nothing like a nice bit of 25mm timber to last longer in a fire and prevent flame from breaching the ceiling

Nothing wrong with the plastic bag stapled to the hatch either - it's just the same as having a plastic bag with all the Christmas decorations stored in the loft

what a lot of dribble

hey, i just stapled some of that prickly yellow stuff to my loft lid, and it's still there !!!

and don't bash the lawyer, we might need him in GD....!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back