Tips on how to finish boarding curved ceiling.

Sponsored Links
im not having a pop just saying what i think im sure you will make a good plasterer one day

No offence taken in any way. I am still a learner with a long way to go.
Appreciate everyone's comments.

Sponsored Links
Gave the ceiling another coat this morning as I knew I could do better. Skimmed two of the walls yesterday -two coats of finish applied, got the whole thing right timing wise, and it was no real effort, trowelling kept to a minimum compared to the ceiling day before and made the ceiling look like it had been done by a different person in comparison.

This time with the ceiling I stopped spreading at the point where the curve starts then went back and smoothed it all out before carrying on with the curved bit. This made the job easier as I wasted loads of time there last time and time was against me after that.

Results are definitely better than last time IMHO.

Now, if I only had a decent trowel instead of my £9 Chinese one...

5234343853_4a66665dfd_b.jpg

5234937232_d7a863e39b_b.jpg

5234344103_9c083a7966_b.jpg

5234937070_7471916f38_b.jpg

You're doing alright Steady,, it's looking good. The more you practice the better you'll become. ;)

went back and smoothed it all out
looks much better m8 and you done it with a crappy trowel as well?
just a little tip for you, try and flatten in as you go the flatter the first coat the easier it is espec on big hits, you dont want to be messing around fighting to get it flat as it goes hard, but yes good job m8 :)

Cheers for the encouragement.

and you done it with a crappy trowel as well?

RST carbon steel in actual fact @ £9 from T**lstation. Fresh out of its wrapper as well and not broken in am afraid.

Out of interest if a pro was doing a job like this what size and make of trowel would he/you use? And what about a big float trowel (20"long?) Is one of these worth having?

Out of interest if a pro was doing a job like this what size and make of trowel would he/you use? And what about a big float trowel (20"long?) Is one of these worth having?

In a word , no!

The bigger the trowel, the worse it is for your body. The whole point of having a trade is to make the job easier, not harder, so you find what works for you.

I use, and a lot of spreads do, a 14" for skimming. I use a 13x5 for floating.

The fastest spread I ever worked with used an 11''. It's about technique more than size*

For the last couple of years I have flattened in the first coat with a light
s/steel 18'' spatula ( freebie from STO renders but think about £12) and I find this works well, and is easy work.

(*oo er missus etc etc)

Cheers for the encouragement.

and you done it with a crappy trowel as well?

RST carbon steel in actual fact @ £9 from T**lstation. Fresh out of its wrapper as well and not broken in am afraid.

marshalltown, and tyzac are the 2 prefered makes, i use mt, i did buy a tyzac but never used it it felt unbalanced to me, but it all depends what yor used to, i know someone that uses tyzac and he feels the mt is unbalanced i think the handle is set further back on the tyzac, as for size a 13in is a good size to start with, ive been with other spreads and they use the big trowels 18in+ on ceilings but they are experienced, the biggest i use is 14in, if i were you i would go for a 13in and as you get better you can then get a bigger one later if you feel the need

s/steel 18'' spatula
after seeing this vid im going to give it a go, but those spreads are using it for the final trowel it looks like, you say you use it just to flatten in the first coat? also looking on the refina web page it says used in conjuction with the sponge float which i used to do a lot of, im going to get one and give it a bash, ive just got a question or 2 if you dont mind mich so i get this right first go, so is it lay on 1st coat flatten with spatula- lay on second coat flatten with spatula - trowel up then cross trowel with the spatula? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3sY1sD2rI

s/steel 18'' spatula
after seeing this vid im going to give it a go, but those spreads are using it for the final trowel it looks like, you say you use it just to flatten in the first coat? also looking on the refina web page it says used in conjuction with the sponge float which i used to do a lot of, im going to get one and give it a bash, ive just got a question or 2 if you dont mind mich so i get this right first go, so is it lay on 1st coat flatten with spatula- lay on second coat flatten with spatula - trowel up then cross trowel with the spatula? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3sY1sD2rI[/QUOTE]

Steve - I put on 1st coat with trowel, the flatten with spatula (pulling from wall into middle all round, then just do the bit in the middle)

Lay down with fesh gear, trowel up with trowel no more spatch.

I can see it working with spatch instead of first trowel , while the gear is soft but I can't see how you'd get it trowelled up with a spatch- especially as it goes off when you need a bit of 'bite'

I can see it working with spatch instead of first trowel , while the gear is soft but I can't see how you'd get it trowelled up with a spatch- especially as it goes off when you need a bit of 'bite'
neither could i mich thats why i asked if you trowel it up b4 crossing it using the spatch, so on that vid they have trowelled it up and then they are giving it the final cross trowel with the spatch you think?either way im going to get one and give it a go, take a look at this link if you havent already http://www.refina.co.uk/pdf_tools_09/B_Superflex_Spatula_2009.pdf
they say its for use with sponge floats as well, ive just got to decide what size i want and weather i want it on a pole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back