Tips on refitting a cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new cloakroom suite and will hopefully be getting round to fitting it and refurbishing the cloakroom in the next few weeks.

However, there's some additional tasks to be done which I want to query.

1. Walls - I removed the wallpaper to find very poor plasterwork. It's such a small room anyway that I figured tiling it floor to ceiling wouldn't be so expensive and would make it easier to keep clean. Good idea/bad idea? Should I tile it completely before fitting the suite?

2. Floor - is currently laminate on top of some awful 1970s tiles. I intend to lay ceramic floor tiles. Is it best to fit the toilet pan onto the tiles, or fit the pan first and tile around?

3. Ceiling - currently has a stipple effect artex. I'd like to flatten it either by sanding it down or filling it (or both). Any tips? Perhaps I should get a plasterer but it's a tiny job.

4. Pipework and boxing in - the current pipework is filthy and horribly painted. I'll probably cut them back and replace with fresh chrome pipes and flexible connectors where possible. However there is one pipe (water supply) which runs through the room into the boiler cupboard. Should I replace that too - probably a gas fitter job?

Also, when boxing in I'll need to attach batons to the wall and floor - is it OK to attach those to my tiled areas or better to attach to the wall but have a join at the bottom of verticals?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1, Tile wall once you have re- plastered.

2, Always fit toilet after tiling.

3, Use a blunt scraper to remove high points of artex, then re-plaster.

4, Why not just box them in, leaving any access for valves.

5, Do all boxings and plasterboard prior to tiling.

Rgds
Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back