relocated toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a toilet in my downstairs cloakroom which has the soil going into a concrete floor which is tiled. I want to move the toilet around 1.5 metres away from where it is. This is moving away from the direction in which the soil passes out into the drain.

Is it a case of chasing the floor from where the soil currently enters the ground to the new place and then extending the pipework? I would appreciate any tips on offer.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It would be a case of that, but not often that simple as you could be destroying the DPM and you also need to get the required fall on the soil pipe and cap off existing connection.

You also need to consider what lies underground, and whether the invert is far enough down to allow you to do what you propose

Sponsored Links
I have been doing some more reserarch and don't see an alternative to the digging of a floor chase and then extending the soil to the new location. I will then need to pour over concrete to bring the floor back to its original level. I'm stumped on what I will need to do if I tear through the floor membrance during this process...

If you tear through the damp proof membrane, you'll need to find a way of repairing it or you'll forever suffer with rising damp in that area. Anything you do must comply with Approved Document H

Straight forward enough fix. Lay in a piece of polythene sheet over the tear, best sealed down with something like black gutter mastic. (I find this seals poly very well)

Thanks guys. Do I need to worry about overlapping it with the existing membrane? I think this will be difficult to do in practice...
I suspect that the best I can do is cut a channel which is around 150mm wide (for soil pipe), 1.5 metres long (to new location) and appropriate depth to achieve the required fall. If I penetrate the membrane in doing this, I will cut a fresh piece of membrane, lay it into the chase and seal it along the sides. Hope that makes sense and I have understood correctly. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back