Tips on tracing loose water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When our toilet cistern (Geberit) has finished filling after flushing we get a loud bang which we assume is a loose pipe. This started as a gentle clunk but has gradually got worse. We hear it below in the kitchen cupboard also (situated directly below the loo) where the stopcock is. How can we trace the loose pipe?

Our big fear is that the loose pipe is coming from the toilet across to the corner of the room, where it possibly runs down into the kitchen, and is loose in the boxed in section of the bathroom. This is all beautifully tiled and is only just over a year old! I really cannot face ripping all the tiles off unless we are 100% sure.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
When our toilet cistern (Geberit) has finished filling after flushing we get a loud bang which we assume is a loose pipe. It probably is :idea: Our big fear is that the loose pipe is coming from the toilet across to the corner of the room, where it possibly runs down into the kitchen, and is loose in the boxed in section of the bathroom. I`ll bet it does :idea: Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
just change the float valve - cheaper than dismantling the bathroom - try a fluidmaster valve

Installing what is known as a "shock arrestor" may help, but bear in mind that undue movement of pipe ( which is what happens when a pipe is not clipped properly ) is likely to result in breakdown sooner or later.
The job was simply not done to spec.

You've got water hammer caused by a pipe not adequately clipped, location found by trial and error one listening one flushing loo !

If you don't fix it you could have a burst down the line when it really is inconvenient !

Your decision !

Sponsored Links
I think that is a bit alarmist . There are millions of houses with inadequately clipped mains water pipes . Reduce the possibility of hammer occuring and the pipes will hang unsupported for ever

When our toilet cistern (Geberit) has finished filling after flushing we get a loud bang which we assume is a loose pipe. It probably is :idea: Our big fear is that the loose pipe is coming from the toilet across to the corner of the room, where it possibly runs down into the kitchen, and is loose in the boxed in section of the bathroom. I`ll bet it does :idea: Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
just change the float valve - cheaper than dismantling the bathroom - try a fluidmaster valve
I would also try this first, especially if its only the toilet thats causing the bang. We had similar with a tap fitting in our old house, clipped all the pipes in and it was still doing it , turned out it was the tap causing the problem, new tap fitted problem solved.

Fit a 2Ltr. stainless steel expansion vessel @1 bar near the S/cock if poss ;)

Fill the boxed in section with expanding foam.

That should hold the pipe quite nicely :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back