Tips to make a well-used tumble dryer dry better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Creda condenser dryer which I think is about 8 years old, it's been used quite heavily in recent years due to the kids.

It is still running OK (still turns, heats fine etc) so I don't think anything's actually broken, but over time it seems to have got less efficient at drying - I seem to have to put the clothes in for a lot longer than in the past to get the same level of dryness. The ratio of "huge amounts of steam generated in utility room" to "clothes dryness" seems to be getting worse too. It also sometimes gets a bit of a "stale washing" smell (like when you leave stuff in the washer for too long) - though that could just be because my other half sometimes does exactly that...

I regularly de-fluff the fluff filter and fairly regularly rinse the condenser as it says in the instructions, and I've also cleaned out a lot of built-up fluff from the bit where the fluff filter goes in. Recently I also noticed there was a lot of wet fluff building up right inside the machine, at the end of the hole where the condenser goes (at the back), so I scraped as much of that out as I could reach as well.

Just wondering, are there any other things I can do or check to try and get it working a bit more like it used to? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Bumping as never got any replies before and it's still bothering me! Anyone able to help? Thank you!

is there any points you can access the air ducts as they may have gradually been restricted by fluff getting past filter

I'm not sure (total novice), whereabouts should I be looking? We can get access to the back of it, and I've cleaned out all easily accessible bits as far as possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of fluff inside where it's not easy to reach. I can take a look whether there's anything that can be (easily/safely) unscrewed to get better access. I have wondered about sticking a bottle brush gently up some of the openings leading to the condenser/fluff filter (while switched off of course!), does that sound like a bad idea?

And thanks for replying! :)

Sponsored Links
as long as its dry i am assuming its purely a plastic channel as all that leaves the drum past the vent is air and anything it carries past the filter
but just in case no added moisture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back