TMVs and direct DHW cylinder heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

The next stage of the heatbank project will be the selection of a new boiler. However I'm having issues speccing up the system and so far my trusted plumber (CORGI installer for 10 years, will be fitting/comissioning the system and has his unvented ticket ;) ) and my dad's cousin [whatever that makes him to me :D ] an ex 25year BG man now working for an independant (not on the install side though :( ) are a little unsure whether what I'm thinking is possible

Now I know that the mere fact that 2 experienced guys are unsure tells me that I'm probably thinking about this wrong but I'd welcome opinions from anyone else on my plan

I want to directly heat the existing copper cylinder. Since this circuit is completely seperate from the actual hot water I see no issue with this.
However, I assume that since my cylinder is just a stock copper gravity one I'll be unable to fit it into a pressurized primary system off the boiler. I don't know what a CU cylinder will take pressure wise and I certainly don't want to find out

So now I'm thinking open vent primary system. All OK so far.
Here comes the hard part

To keep the boiler running effeciently I'd like to fit a TMV in the boiler return. I'd connect this to the top and of the cylinder with the mixed port back to the boiler. I **should** then be able to set the return temp to the boiler to 50C giving me the 70C I want to run the store at on the flow, assuming a 20C deltaT across the boiler as well as giving me nice long efficient (from what I've read anyway) boiler burns

The problem I see is that the TMV is going to need some pressure to work. 0.1bar seems common. If I go my intended route of boiler and cylinder in the loft I'm going to struggle to get much more than 5ft of head for the system. I suspect it's going to pump over :(

Anyone make any sense of the plan and have any comments?

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Don't follow your entire plan :oops: but you can have a system boiler fitted to a standard copper open vented cylinder. What you can't do is turn your copper cylinder into an un-vented cylinder :rolleyes:

This is the plan. NB, top left unlabelled box is the hot water cylinder, bottom left is boiler
setup.jpg

What I'm unsure of is whether the boiler circuit can be unvented. I don't think so and the jist of what my guys say is neither do they :(

Anyone know if the new Vaillant ECOTEC 600 series will run open vent?

Sponsored Links
600 series are sealed system boilers only. 400 series is the open vent version. If your h/w cyl is standard copper cyl then you will need an open vent off this :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back