TN-S, TN-C-S, PME Etc Etc.

J

jjarvis

I know what is meant by a TT system (earth electrode and so on) but don't really understand the rest. Could someone please explain. Does anyone have any pics that would show me how to identify the difference between systems at my meter? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Sponsored Links
TN-S is the system which was installed as standard in urban areas years ago. It has a completely separate earth path back to the sub-station, generally via the armor of the underground supply cables (although TN-S was also run overhead on occasions). The main earthing lead from your consumer unit will be connected directly to the earth terminal provided by the power company.

TN-S diagram

TN-C-S is the newer designation for PME (Protective Multiple Earthing). In this system, your main earthing lead is connected directly to the incoming neutral of the supply at the service block. There are different physical arrangements of connection due to the age/style of service. To the untrained eye, it may be difficult to differentiate between TN-S and TN-C-S with some types of service equipment, but there should be a sticker on PME systems telling you that PME is in use. (Note that PME systems have strciter requirements for bonding than TN-S.)

TN-C-S diagram

TT systems, as you say, have the house earthed only locally, and are easily identified by the fact that there will be no separate earth lead running anywhere to the service on the supply side of the meter.

TT diagram

Combinations of systems can be found within an installation. For example, a house could be on a TN-S supply but have a garage or outbuilding which has been wired as TT with its own independent earth.

Houses can also use a mixture of systems from a common distribution system. For example, PME was originally installed only in rural areas where other earthing methods were deemed impractical, but in recent years its use has become much more widespread. In my local, rural area, the PoCo has installed the extras earthing required along all routes and will provide a PME/TN-C-S connection to any house upon request. The majority of homes, however, are still operating under their original TT systems.

Just to add, if you're wondering about the peculiar designations, they are derived as follows:

The 1st letter is always T for a public supply, and indicates that one pole is permanently earthed (T = terre, French for earth).

The 2nd letter indicates how the installation is earthed:
T = Independent connection to terre / earth
N = Earthed to neutral of supply

The subsequent letters, if present, indicate whether the protective earthing path is combined with (C) or separate from (S) the neutral path.

A PME system has the protective earth path combined with the neutral on the distribution network, but kept separate from it within the house wiring, hence the multiple designation TN-C-S.

There are other systems, such as TN-C and IT, but they are not used for public supplies in Britain.

Sponsored Links
cheers paul c, i've always wondered about the designations, now i find out it's french,,, where's me white flag and i'll join in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back