TNS supply Ze at 1.7ohm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
just had a consumer unit changed in a ground floor flat that i own in Newport Gwent

Flat is fed via a cable that pos out of the floor and terminated in a 415v steel box.

One phase is then split out and feeds my local meter and CU.

The remaining cables are then fed up to the ceiling, where they go through to the 1st floor flat. I then assume that phase 2 feeds the flat, and phase 3 is then routed to second floor flat.

In my flat the original CU has been replaced with a new BG box with 5 RCBO for the various circuits.

Job went very well and all circuits test correctly.

However , when doing final tests my electrician noted a Ze of 1.7ohms He advised me it should be 0.8ohms

From what I understand the earth issue is the responsibility of DNO (Western Power), as the earth was installed by the original DNO (unknown).

What can be done to resolve this?

The block of flats was originally Council built and owned, but now have mixed ownerships.

Because of new legislation relating to Landlords within Wales, i am obliged to carry out the necessary board upgrades etc, and I'm pretty sure that the 2 flats above are still owned by Local Housing Authority. Therefore im sure that the above flats would already have had the the board changes etc.
However the 2 flats rely on the common earth path through my property.

Am i correct in saying that the Ze in the other flats should have only been tested with the earths in the other 2 flats are disconnected (Parallel earth paths) ?

Is 0.8ohms an absolute max or is there any guidance for the issues described above?

cheers for reading this post.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it really is the incoming that is poorly earthed, and not one a rusty bolt you can just replace or tighten from the outside as it were, then I'd get the DNO to look at it. Mention the phrase 'not earthed'

They may say "bad luck, go TT". See what happens.

Assuming it really is the incoming that is poorly earthed, and not one a rusty bolt you can just replace or tighten from the outside as it were, then I'd get the DNO to look at it. Mention the phrase 'not earthed'

They may say "bad luck, go TT". See what happens.
Thanks for reply
We’ve tried cleaning a polishing cable of clamp. The reading was taken direct onto sheath of cable.

If they say go TT who tells the other 2 flats?

Photos would be useful

What did the spark write in the comments on the EIC he gave you ?

Sponsored Links
Photos would be useful

What did the spark write in the comments on the EIC he gave you ?
I’ve got a couple of pics before CU swap
I’ll dig them out.
Electrician hasn’t given me paperwork yet, I told him I’d like to get the bottom of problem now and then do retest

Pics before board change

Attachments

• IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6642.jpeg
    IMG_6642.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 29
You've got an SWA supply from the cellar or ground floor?

What fuse is there between the main DNO fuse and the SWA?

Can you post a picture of the new set up?

What did the spark say about the reading?

Did they only find out after swapping the board?

Yes out of solid floor
Not sure it’s mounted in box 415v
Haven’t taken any since
Said it is high
Irrelevant it was test direct to the clamp that is seen

My understanding is that if there is a DNO-supplied TN earth, then they are obliged to 'maintain' it (which, in the case of TN-S, often means changing it to TN-C-S) ??

Kind Regards, John
Not always the case.
Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't.

Is 0.8ohms an absolute max
Not really.
It's a figure often touted about as a maximum, but in reality it can be higher.

However that incoming supply is in desperate need of attention, as it hasn't had anything done for many decades.
The DNO may have options for that and the other flats. Contact them to find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back