To avoid distraction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you see the original post in the death penalty topic, removal of which prompted my first attempt at this?

I did. Terrorist actions for which we have sown the seeds hey? I'm sure that's great comfort to those affected by 7/7 and other terrorist attacks, seeing as they brought it on themselves and all that.
I didn't say that it was "all our fault", nor did I say that terrorist acts are justified, or should not be prevented, or that perpetrators shouldn't be punished.

In fact, IIRC, I wrote something along the lines of stressing that I wasn't saying any of those things even though we are to some extent sowing what we have reaped.

But I take it that you aren't aware of the history of Al-Qaeda, the Mujahideen, and the Taliban?

Or who armed and trained Osama bin Laden and the Mujahideen?

Or which of our allies in the "war on terror" shelters Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, and which of them funds the Madrassas where poorly educated and impressionable young men are brainwashed into becoming suicide bombers?

Or that the seeds of Al-Qaeda were the West's support for the House of Saud, the regime in charge of Osama bin Laden's country, which permits no legitimate opposition?

Sponsored Links
We invented pirates too. I just thought you'd like to know that. ;) ;) ;)

It's a rather sobering thought that, a few centuries from now, Disney could be making a movie called Terrorists of the Middle East. :eek: :eek: :eek: No doubt the truth will be watered down and sanitized for family viewing and the Taliban et al will be portrayed as clowns who 'weren't all that bad really'! Now who will get the part of Jack sparrow??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ban-all-sheds said:
...even though we are to some extent sowing what we have reaped...

It makes sense if you add one extra word thus:

...even though we are to some extent sowing what we WILL have reaped...

That's the future perfect tense. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
I think that's future imperfect but don't quote me. It's been nearly forty years since I was forced to learn latin - and if I never see "De Bello Gallico" again it'll be too soon! :evil: :evil: :evil:

And that goes for Virgil too - redoubled in No Trumps! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Imperfect: Of or being the tense of a verb that shows, usually in the past, an action or a condition as incomplete, continuous, or coincident with another action.

Progressive: Designating a verb form that expresses an action or condition in progress.

Apparently!

B

...even though we are to some extent sowing what we have reaped...

My theory is that he began his diatribe intending to use the phrase, "reaped the rewards". Fortunately, mid-way through diatribe construction he subconsciously realised that this terminology would be met with derision and distain. He therefore intended to substitute this phrase with, "sowing the seeds", but unfortunately got confused in his drunken stupor. Hence the phrase "sowing what we have reaped" was born.

I'm not sure that someone who can't spell should be criticising another person's English...
My theory is that he began his diatribe intending to use the phrase, "reaped the rewards".
Back to theory school for you then. I intended to use the phrase "reaping what we have sown".

For we are.

Fortunately, mid-way through diatribe construction he subconsciously realised that this terminology would be met with derision and distain.
Only by those, surely, who don't know that "reward" can mean something received in return for doing something wrong? It doesn't have to mean something of value or pleasure or benefit....

He therefore intended to substitute this phrase with, "sowing the seeds", but unfortunately got confused in his drunken stupor. Hence the phrase "sowing what we have reaped" was born.
No - just a simple transposition error. Done in complete sobriety too. :rolleyes:

I honestly thought I was missing something...and I'm stone cold sober too :confused:

The first time you made that assertion it could be explained away as faulty reasoning on your part.

But as I've said that I was sober, what excuse have you got for making it a second time?

Sponsored Links
Back