To bond or not to bond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst on my 16th upgrade about 3yrs ago, I recall my lecturer informing us that all central heating boilers have to be bonded direct from the MET, as you do with gas & water.

Recently, my mate had his boiler replaced, & the plumber said exactly the same thing, although I cannot find it anywhere in the regs.

Sponsored Links
iirc central heating is listed under serivces that need to be bonded but it is unclear if this only applies if its a service coming from outside the equipotential zone.

gavonto said:
Whilst on my 16th upgrade about 3yrs ago, I recall my lecturer informing us that all central heating boilers have to be bonded direct from the MET, as you do with gas & water.

Recently, my mate had his boiler replaced, & the plumber said exactly the same thing, although I cannot find it anywhere in the regs.

AFAIK, you only cross bond the pipes from the boiler. no need to take it to the MET, since the water pipe does the same thing

AFAIK, you only cross bond the pipes from the boiler. no need to take it to the MET, since the water pipe does the same thing

That`s what I thought, but it`s obvious that people still believe that they have to bond directly from the MET

edited to correct quote

Sponsored Links
That`s what I thought, but it`s obvious that people still believe that they have to bond directly from the MET

So does this mean that :
1. the primary flow and return only have to be cross bonded at the boiler?
2. the bonding can occur anywhere in the heating system?
3. All metal pipework at the boiler must be cross bonded?

As a matter of interest, i've seen this discussed elsewhere and the general conclusion was that bonding was not necessary at the boiler if main and supplementary bonding were already correctly installed.

--tom said:
So does this mean that :
1. the primary flow and return only have to be cross bonded at the boiler?
2. the bonding can occur anywhere in the heating system?
3. All metal pipework at the boiler must be cross bonded?

As a matter of interest, i've seen this discussed elsewhere and the general conclusion was that bonding was not necessary at the boiler if main and supplementary bonding were already correctly installed.

you should cross bond all pipes leaving the boiler. the idea is to make all pipes at the same potential

Yes mate, me too. Why should the boiler pipework be cross bonded? I recall reading something about boilers having metal flue pipes which pass out of the building, hence they are a source of possible external earth and need primary bonding. Where is the reason for cross bonding the pipework?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back