To cap or not to cap!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The more I read sometimes the more confused I get!
Some advocate capping and some not. I am a noob Diyer and have chased out the walls for a couple of new sockets (extedning ring with 2.5mm) trying to get safe zones correct etc. I am going to have to run the cable horizontaly around a corner obviously this is within the 150mm on the corner so I need to make sure its 50mm deep. This is not proving easy but would you recommend using a metal conduit for the corner here?

Fot a new DIY'er would you recommend the PVC conduit for my horizontal run and clip it to the wall? The other walls just have the wires plastered over.

What's going to be easier/best for someone in my situation?

Any links to recommended products for cap clips or corner trunking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The more I read sometimes the more confused I get!
Some advocate capping and some not. I am a noob Diyer and have chased out the walls for a couple of new sockets (extedning ring with 2.5mm) trying to get safe zones correct etc. I am going to have to run the cable horizontaly around a corner obviously this is within the 150mm on the corner so I need to make sure its 50mm deep. This is not proving easy but would you recommend using a metal conduit for the corner here?

Fot a new DIY'er would you recommend the PVC conduit for my horizontal run and clip it to the wall? The other walls just have the wires plastered over.

What's going to be easier/best for someone in my situation?

Any links to recommended products for cap clips or corner trunking?

Thanks

Why do you need to make sure it's 50mm deep? The only reason for that would be if you don't have an RCD on the ring. It sounds like you've already started, so you may as well bury them under plaster. If you haven't, if cosmetically it's not a problem then run them in MT2 trunking.

Safe zones (presuming you've already started chasing out) are vertical & horizontal of an accessory, and 150mm from a corner/from the ceiling.

Stop bashing holes in your bricks.

But the route for the cable goes around the corner of the wall?
Yes I have started to chase out but I haven't run the cable yet or plastered and no bricks damaged so far (apart from the recess of back box)

Your fitting at socket which needs RCD protection so no need for 50mm deep with RCD protection.

As to capping or conduit it is there to make it easy to plaster and protect from plasters trowel. I always fit and as rule of thumb conduit for alteration as it needs less digging out and capping for new build as can be fitted after cables are run.

Using Ali-tube which is dress-able I would not use capping or conduit. It also does not need RCD protection so a RCD socket will be good enough no need to fit RCD where supplied from.

Where RCD is fitted in consumer unit this means no real need for Ali-tube cable and as more expensive than twin and earth and harder to source then I would use twin and earth.

There are as you can see many variables and as an electrician we select best for job in hand.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Eric,

I have a 17th edition board supplying the ring so I need not worry about the depth then. OK
I am going to use some oval type cap then I think. Will I get two lengths of T&E in this OK? B & Q stuff should suffice?

Thanks again

I am going to use some oval type cap then I think. Will I get two lengths of T&E in this OK?

There are lots of different sizes. Some are big enough for two bits of 2.5mm, some aren't.

OK thanks.

That's fair enough! I think I will need a bit of corner trunking to make life easier, a sort of 45 degree bend to help with the corner.

Due to the variation in size etc I am hoping someone can provide me with a link for some trunking or capping or whatever is going to make my life easier with the running of 2.5 mm cables
maybe space saving double conduit type thing?

Sorry for harking on but I want to get the right size stuff maybe incuding 90 degree bend!

Thanks

How does this help? He has not referred to new circuits, kitchen, bathroom or outside.

The minimum bending radius is normally 3 x the diameter of cable when under 10mm and 4 x the diameter of cable when 10mm to 25mm diameter.

Since there is no need to use conduit normal is to not protect on bends.

I was mainly industrial so sorry can't help. Twin and earth does not like going through conduit normally I pull through first then fix.

Ummm.... :oops:

For some reason I thought it was in a kitchen.

I don't know what the reason was, as I don't have it any more. A big boy took it and ran away, then he left it on the bus and the dog ate it.

Ahh well, nobody's perfect :)

Absolutley right and what a horrible thing to happen.
Incidently I ordered a mix of 25mm cap and 20mm oval conduit for various bits of the chasing. See how I get on. You live and learn and I wont know until Iwork with it I suppose. Probably end up using nowt and just plastering over the cables
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back