To cut or not to cut? - that is the question...

Coming along nicely so far....

2024-05-24 finsh.jpg

But not sure how to improve the lighting. I have a light switch going to one light bulb fitting already in the loft . I need two lights.

I think the new light fitting can be daisy chained from the last light fixture or a new wire for the new light can be taken from the loft light switch box. Both of these options require sticking two wires into small a pendant light connections or the light switch box connections - which is not ideal and fiddly in a dark loft.

Is there a way I can take the wire from the light switch - split it into two and then connect it to different light fitting so I can have two lights?

Is it possible to do the below - or does it HAVE to be daisy chained from the previous light or come from the light switch box?

Connector.jpg

And if its possible, what Connector will allow the live, neutral and earth to easily and cheaply be split off into two?

This - with the two wires coming out of it of one coming in?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-24a-light-junction-box-39-x-95-x-29mm-grey/8423F

Or can I use something like this t-box?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-3-way-20mm-tee-box-black/82706

And which wago connectors are best? 24a or less? Know the types I need to buy that are small and would fit into the above cases? Twisting the wires together is not not ideal and t-boxes with the connections built in are a pain to wire in the dark as well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAGO-221-2411-Terminal-Conductor-Connector/dp/B077QJ3G5B

Sponsored Links
I suggest you start a new thread here:

with your electric question.

Will do, have a quickie question though..

20240524_132433_DRO.jpg

These little metal rods are used to anchor and guide the loft ladders. Abut 5mm diameter. Is there anything I can put on the end that will stop them slipping out. Some kind of compression nut (or something) that can fix on the ends? – any ideas?

These little metal rods are used to anchor and guide the loft ladders. Abut 5mm diameter. Is there anything I can put on the end that will stop them slipping out. Some kind of compression nut (or something) that can fix on the ends? – any ideas?

You should have been supplied with a couple of special star washers, with the fingers pointing towards the centre of the washer. They tap on, and stay put.

This type of thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starlock-W...e&keywords=star+washers&qid=1716574425&sr=8-6

Sponsored Links
Loft is coming along with ladder, although had to raise the connector bar so it does not catch for now. Some basic flooring in place.

IMG_20240529_150621_DRO.jpg

Just wondering, if I have this amount of wall space that I wanted to create some storage affixed to the wall with...

wall dimensions.jpg

...what is a good option.? Just some twin slot brackets and Conti-board shelving? - or is there anything else cheap and cheerful that I am missing a trick with?

Last edited:
Twin-slot and conti board is cheap and cheerful, isn't it? It's flexible, a generic product and spreads the loads across the wall [although probably not such a concern with a brick wall]. You can easily get the components through that small loft hatch. It sounds ideal.
If it's not quite cheap enough, how about scrap wood from a skip instead of conti board? You could have even used that OSB in a pinch if you hadn't cut it in to little pieces :D

Thanks for the reply.
Twin-slot and conti board is cheap and cheerful, isn't it? It's flexible, a generic product and spreads the loads across the wall [although probably not such a concern with a brick wall]. You can easily get the components through that small loft hatch. It sounds ideal.
If it's not quite cheap enough, how about scrap wood from a skip instead of conti board? You could have even used that OSB in a pinch if you hadn't cut it in to little pieces :D

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering if there were some fancy cages or other options - and I was missing a trick with.

Would like it running from one side to another - but Its a large span for any purchased wood - so it would need a couple of pieces, and twin slot supports under each side of each piece. Can see how this can be more complicated and expensive then expected and how small OSB wood pieces are not going to work to span that width. And of course large peices are not easy to get home in a car.

E.g. This piece would need to be cut up and then worked out how to make up the 74cm (279cm - 353cm) difference and still have supports under both side of the shelf. https://www.wickes.co.uk/MFC-White-Furniture-Panel---18-x-300-x-2790mm/p/110520

Mdf is around half the price of conti board and can be ripped to any depth you want .

It'll go all wibbly wobbly in humid conditions though.. Conti's a bit more resistant to it. Horses for course; I'm paying money and take your choice.

Ta. Will have a look although time is a bit short for the weekend to get materials together.

I did notice some tiles out on the roof, with some water ingress.

This one seems close to the chimney...
IMG_20240529_150957_DRO.jpg

This gap between two tiles on the other side...
IMG_20240529_150949_DRO.jpg

Just wondering if I can adjust them back internally -I could perhaps can stretch to them on a ladder in the loft - as will be nightmare to get to them from the outside. Worried if I mess with them internally, may make it worse and have a bigger gap. Or is there something I can use to fill the gap or patch internally that anyone recommends?

Last edited:
I did notice some tiles out on the roof, with some water ingress.

This one seems close to the chimney...
View attachment 344697

This gap between two tiles on the other side...
View attachment 344698

Just wondering if I can adjust them back internally -I could perhaps can stretch to them on a ladder in the loft - as will be nightmare to get to them from the outside. Worried if I mess with them internally, may make it worse and have a bigger gap. Or is there something I can use to fill the gap or patch internally that anyone recommends?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Everbuild-Evercryl-Emergency-Roof-Repair-Cartridge---Clear/p/190840

This seemed to do the job. Smothered a bit of wood with it to fill the big gaps and then pipped in and around the cracks. Lets see. Time will tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back