To fit an electric shower...possible for an 'amateur'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit an electric shower in an old cottage we have as there is no pressure for a 'standard shower'. (water tank too close to shower head).

Does a separate cable have to be run to the fuse box?
Can it be added as a spur. There is an immersion tank with a separate fuse.

I can do the plumming side but obviously don't wish to kill anyone on the electrical side. However would have thought with guidance it could be done and checked by local authority in Dorset.

Any views most appreciated

Sponsored Links
Installing an electric shower or any work in a bathroom has to comply with both electrical regs & part p of the building regs which require the work be carried out by a competant person. I think you have answered your own question. :(

Installing an electric shower or any work in a bathroom has to comply with both electrical regs & part p of the building regs which require the work be carried out by a competant person. I think you have answered your own question. :(

I am a competent person so given the necessary advice/instruction/direction i think i could do it. I understand that the aim of the forum is to advise and encourage where possible. Its a question of being advised of the technical aspects and then being able to understand and carrying them out. perhaps someone can offer constructive help here?
Thank you in anticipation?!

Sponsored Links
From the question you have asked it shows you are not competant to attempt this. It is a notifiable job and must be done by a part P electrician. Do not connect a shower to this spare fuse as it will only be a small fire that burns your house down, you will invalidate your insurance by causing the fire as it wasn't carried out by a competant person.

totoisacat said:
I wish to fit an electric shower in an old cottage we have as there is no pressure for a 'standard shower'. (water tank too close to shower head).
You also have the option of the Mira Elite, which is electric but includes a pump, so is designed to take water from a cistern with a low head such as yours.

Does a separate cable have to be run to the fuse box?
Yes. This is very important.

Can it be added as a spur.
No, because the current drawn will be far in excess of what a spur can carry.

There is an immersion tank with a separate fuse.
Not usable I'm afraid.

I can do the plumming side but obviously don't wish to kill anyone on the electrical side. However would have thought with guidance it could be done and checked by local authority in Dorset.
Part P of the Building Regulations require you to notify the work in advance of doing it, and to pay a fee that will include the work needed for the authority to test (or subcontract the testing) to certify the installation as safe.

With care, patience, and enough reading of the material on this site, you could become sufficiently competent, but you have quite a bit to learn before you start. Remember - safe electric circuit design has nothing to do with the physical ability to connect lengths of cable between things.

A few points to consider:-

An electric shower needs it's own circuit from the mains position.
Is the existing consumer unit capable of supplying this
It is highly recommended to be protected by a 30mA RCD
What rating is the shower, this will determine which size protective device to use for the circuit.
This will then determine what size cable to use in conjunction with install factors.The other parameter to consider is voltage drop.

A suitable sized and positioned double pole pull switch should be fitted.
Any cable entry to the shower needs to maintain it's water ingress protection.
Main equipotential / supplementary bonding may need upgrading/installing

[quote

Remember - safe electric circuit design has nothing to do with the physical ability to connect lengths of cable between things.[/quote]

very well put mate :cool:

Under the New Rules (BS7671:2008) 17th edition, all showers MUST be 30mA RCD protected, along with all other Bathroom Circuits (except ELV circuits).

Under the New Rules (BS7671:2008) 17th edition, all showers MUST be 30mA RCD protected, along with all other Bathroom Circuits (except ELV circuits).

A) Until June, its still acceptable to design to BS7671:2001(2004)

B) I'm interested to know how you can state that as fact yet... the book isn't being realeased to the public until next monday, granted you can order it now... but I don't think you'll see it until next week

EDIT: That said, showers on RCD are a very good idea and quite often the MIs inist on it

kai said:
The things you call rules are not rules.

Is it just me, or is the first question to the OP.

Do you mean a shower fed from the existing hot and cold water but electrically pumped, or do you mean an electrically heated shower that overcomes the lack of head by using the mains water pressure?

good point and an abiguity that needs clarification..

that said, the part P advice and RCD advise still holds true..

But all the stuff about new circuits and fires doesn't - shower pumps are typically only a few hundred watts, aren't they?

ban-all-sheds said:
But all the stuff about new circuits and fires doesn't - shower pumps are typically only a few hundred watts, aren't they?
The OP used the term "electric shower". Although this has no strict definition, AFAIK all manufacturers reserve this term to refer to a shower containing an instantaneous water heater.

A small subset of electric showers are designed to be fed from a cold storage cistern, and include a pump to boost the flow. The fact that this pump requires a [relatively] small current is irrelevant, because the 9.8kW rating of in the Elite means that a dedicated circuit is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back