To flush or not to flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a vaillant combi boiler, the hot water from taps keeps fluctuating, British Gas have told me that sludge/dirt keeps blocking the heat exchanger they replaced it once and it lasted a year they replaced it again it lasted a week. They are saying it needs a flush and a filter, everyone who's looked at it says the water is very clean and rads heat evenly . As a flush is very expensive would it be just as good to fit just a filter or should I pay for a flush as well. We have column rads. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
1. Get a filter fitted. Personal preference is the Adey Magnaclean Professional 2. Easy to fit although it does require a drain down unless you really know what you are doing.
2. When refilling, add a litre of Sentinel X400 cleaner. Let that circulate through the system for 2 or 3 weeks.
3. At the end of that time, drain the system again. Check the Magnaclean.
3a. If the magnet is covered with sludge to a depth of several millimetres, then the system was dirty. See below.
3b. If there are traces of sludge, say less than 1 mm thick, the system is clean enough.
4. Refill the system. And:
4a. If the system was dirty, repeat the clean with fresh X400.
4b. If the system was clean, after refilling add 1 litre of inhibitor (X100 for example), and you're done.
5. If after a second clean the system is still dirty, it needs to be cleaned. Several ways of doing this:
5a. Powerflush. I think its is the best and least painful way, but many disagree.
5b. Flush through with mains cold water, radiator at a time, until it runs clear. Cheap, but no chemical to bring the sludge into solution. Tapping each radiator as it is treated will help.
5c. Take each radiator off in turn, take it outside and flush through with clean water, tapping as you go. Flush normal way up and inverted.
5d. Both 5b and 5c. Closest you will get to a powerflush, but doesn't really touch the pipework.
6. Once flushing is complete, refill and add inhibitor.
7. You can add inhibitor by:
7a. Turning system off.
7b. Closing both Magnaclean valves and removing top.
7c. Drain water from Magnaclean body and replace with inhibitor.
7d. Close Magnaclean, open its valves and run system for 30 minutes.
7e. Because you can't get a full litre of inhibitor into a Magnaclean (from memory), repeat steps 7a though 7d to use up the whole canister.

Thanks for the reply. In step 2, is it OK to just have the Sentinel X400 cleaner in the system without any inhibitor for 2 or 3 weeks or should that be added as well?

Sponsored Links
1. Get a filter fitted. Personal preference is the Adey Magnaclean Professional 2. Easy to fit although it does require a drain down unless you really know what you are doing.
2. When refilling, add a litre of Sentinel X400 cleaner. Let that circulate through the system for 2 or 3 weeks.
3. At the end of that time, drain the system again. Check the Magnaclean.
3a. If the magnet is covered with sludge to a depth of several millimetres, then the system was dirty. See below.
3b. If there are traces of sludge, say less than 1 mm thick, the system is clean enough.
4. Refill the system. And:
4a. If the system was dirty, repeat the clean with fresh X400.
4b. If the system was clean, after refilling add 1 litre of inhibitor (X100 for example), and you're done.
5. If after a second clean the system is still dirty, it needs to be cleaned. Several ways of doing this:
5a. Powerflush. I think its is the best and least painful way, but many disagree.
5b. Flush through with mains cold water, radiator at a time, until it runs clear. Cheap, but no chemical to bring the sludge into solution. Tapping each radiator as it is treated will help.
5c. Take each radiator off in turn, take it outside and flush through with clean water, tapping as you go. Flush normal way up and inverted.
5d. Both 5b and 5c. Closest you will get to a powerflush, but doesn't really touch the pipework.
6. Once flushing is complete, refill and add inhibitor.
7. You can add inhibitor by:
7a. Turning system off.
7b. Closing both Magnaclean valves and removing top.
7c. Drain water from Magnaclean body and replace with inhibitor.
7d. Close Magnaclean, open its valves and run system for 30 minutes.
7e. Because you can't get a full litre of inhibitor into a Magnaclean (from memory), repeat steps 7a though 7d to use up the whole canister.

Thank You for this.
I have an old Stelrad Ideal Elan Boiler. We have been in our House 20 Years. Not sure when it was fitted.
Most of the Radiators have been removed when Decorating and flushed with a Hose while tapping with a Rubber Mallet. Some I have taken off just to Flush.
Fitted a Magnaclean Pro 2 Today and added X400.
Sadly, quite excited to see what it looks like in 3 Weeks Time. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back