To hire, or buy and sell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just hired myself a sliding mitre saw for the weekend from HSS, and the thing's bloody knackered - the blade guard doesn't open properly, the sliding mechanism is stiff as anything, and the blade's blunt as anything - burning the hell out of the skirting boards I'm cutting. :rolleyes:

Having said that, at least it does work! My point is, I paid 60-odd quid for having this tool, plus a 110v transformer, plus collection and delivery, so the tool itself i guess I'm paying 40 quid for.

Do you all think I'm daft hiring, and I should instead buy something second hand on ebay, use it for a couple months to get the skirting out of the way, then resell it?

Or is this sneaky / risky / illegal for some reason? :confused:

Thanks all,

Russ :)

Sponsored Links
Just buy a new one and keep it. you have just wasted £60.00 and nothing to show for it.

Get one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70961...volution-RAGE3-S-210mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-240V

From what I've seen, they'll give you a clean cut in wood quite happily. And steel. And anything else you put in it. They're also not expensive.

Would you happen to know how accurate the thing is - I'm a freakin' lousy "carpenter" at the best of times, so as worn out as the current hire saw is, at least it's a decent brand and it seems pretty accurate. :rolleyes:

On the comment re paying 60 quid and nothing to show for it, at least it's let me finish the skirting boards and architrave for the two rooms that I needed to do - and it's not going to have to join the mounting pile of junk in my shed that all my mates thing I'm a moron for having collected! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm told it's quite accurate, but I don't have one (yet, it's rapidly becoming high on my shopping list). Maybe someone around here has one..

we use them at work all the time .cold cut so no hot works permit required.will cut almost anything steel /wood/plastic/alli.has a built in laser line on it very accurate .hope this helps.

Get one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70961...volution-RAGE3-S-210mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-240V

From what I've seen, they'll give you a clean cut in wood quite happily. And steel. And anything else you put in it. They're also not expensive.

Would you happen to know how accurate the thing is - I'm a freakin' lousy "carpenter" at the best of times, so as worn out as the current hire saw is, at least it's a decent brand and it seems pretty accurate. :rolleyes:

On the comment re paying 60 quid and nothing to show for it, at least it's let me finish the skirting boards and architrave for the two rooms that I needed to do - and it's not going to have to join the mounting pile of junk in my shed that all my mates thing I'm a moron for having collected! :LOL:

A joiner would have done that small amount of work properly for that money. He would have scribed the internal corners and mitred external perfectly with no need for filler.

A joiner would have done that small amount of work properly for that money. He would have scribed the internal corners and mitred external perfectly with no need for filler.

Really? Bear in mind this is two rooms - one around 2.5 x 3m, the other around 4 x 5m, and this is skirting and architrave. The skirting is 7" solid oak and the architrave's solid oak as well.

If that's genuinely the going rate, then maybe I won't bother doing any of the rooms downstairs myself!

I am no joiner but I know that a joiner can do that work very efficiently to a high standard.

One of the benefits of using a proper tradesman is the quality of finish, the other is you don't get a shed full of tools you used once.

Really? Bear in mind this is two rooms - one around 2.5 x 3m, the other around 4 x 5m, and this is skirting and architrave. The skirting is 7" solid oak and the architrave's solid oak as well.

If that's genuinely the going rate, then maybe I won't bother doing any of the rooms downstairs myself!

im assuming that the skirting is screwed and pelleted?and archs pinned?
if so i wouldnt charge £60 for doing this.with the ammount you have.
and im a chippy.it would be a bit more.

Err... if the OP were to scribe the skirtings he still would have needed the saw to do the pre scribe 45 degree cut.

I would be inclined to purchase a tool rather than hire.

My local Festool store lets you hire and then buy minus the cost of hire if you want to keep the tool.

I am no joiner but I know that a joiner can do that work very efficiently to a high standard.

One of the benefits of using a proper tradesman is the quality of finish, the other is you don't get a shed full of tools you used once.

Hi Paul, I certainly agree that the professionals do a much more efficient job, and the shed full of tools is annoying! (Although we're doing every room, so we're definitely using things more than once)

On the quality of finish though, I must admit I'm actually dead chuffed at the accuracy I've been able to cut to. :cool: Just the screwing and pelleting to do now though. :rolleyes:

I've got one.

Theyre ok, but certainly not the most accurate cut.

On and don't try and cut stainless steel with it. It absoloutly shafts the blade!

I've got one.

Theyre ok, but certainly not the most accurate cut.

On and don't try and cut stainless steel with it. It absoloutly shafts the blade!

Worth it at £100?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back