To ply or not to ply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

looking for a bit of advice. My current bathroom floor is floor boards. I've read in some places that you can tile striaght onto floorboard as there is no deflection and by using BAL Fastflex or Ardex 7001 timber systems along with an appropriate flexible grout.

The bathroom is quite small and the beams below are supported by steels so hopefully minimum deflection.

I'm looking to minimize step height.

Would it just be better to pull up the old boards and lay 18mm ply? or is it 18mm ply ontop of boards?

Thanks in advance

CoXen

Sponsored Links
Ask mods to transfer this to Tiling, you’ll do much better than in Building. ;)

I'd generally go with JohnD but there can be other options, depending on local circumstances. But I'm off to have me dinner & a few glasses of decent grape right now so I’ll have a look back later in more detail :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hope you enjoyed the vino tinto Richard?

I wouldn't risk tiling direct onto floorboards.

I would personally use 6mm hardibacker on top of the floorboards. Then use a good SPF adhesive.

I wouldn’t tile straight onto floor boards either. As said, I normally prefer to replace the floor but it much depends on condition & individual circumstances. You can either overboard with 12mm WBP ply (seal the back & edegs with SBR) if the threshold height is not a problem; or if the tile area is very small & the joists are up to it, you could use 6mm HardiBacker but, personally, I would go for the thicker 500 (12mm) board on larger areas & this won’t give you any advantage over using 12mm ply. You can then come down on the addy spec & use either Rapidset flexible or Single part flexible.

Vino was excellent, so good in fact I completely forgot about this thread. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back