To RCD or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am thinking to put my property on rent in the future. I live in Kent. The property has no RCD protecting the circuits. Just MCB's. The wiring is still in good condition red and blacks with earth's at lighting and sockets.

The question is, will I need to upgrade the board before putting the house on rent? I know the reason why to do it, but it is not mandatory right?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Well, it is not but you could/would be accused of not doing all you could to make it as safe as possible for tenants.
I understand, thank you.
May i please ask, how would I be accused??
If it is not mandatory, then I wont be accused if any faults occur..

I also heard that some electricians do NOT pass the EICR if i dont have RCD... and some do.. is this true my brother?

I understand, thank you.
May i please ask, how would I be accused??
If anything went wrong.

If it is not mandatory, then I wont be accused if any faults occur..
By only doing the bare minimum, some would say it shows you don't really care - not my doing.

I also heard that some electricians do NOT pass the EICR if i dont have RCD... and some do.. is this true my brother?
The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Sector (England) Regulations 2020 is very poorly written and says your installation must comply with the latest regulations (which mandate RCDs) but the only testing available is an EICR (which is down to the inspectors discretion) and if he does not pass it, you only have twenty eight days to rectify it if rented or rectify it before renting.

So, rightly or wrongly, the only way to be certain is...

Sponsored Links
The question is more English comprehension than electrics, BS 7671:2008 asked for all RCD protection on designs after a set date, and all versions are the same, and the EICR has dropped code 4 which was does not comply with current edition.

Most use the electricial safety council best practise 4 as their guide, there are 4 reasons for code C2 with lack of RCD.
1) On a TT system
2) Where the earth loop impedance is too high.
3) In a bathroom when bonding has not followed pre 2008 regs.
4) Where the supply may be used outside.
The rest are code C3, but in the real world likely one of 1 to 4 will mean you do need RCD protection, so likely it will fail.

Preparing a house for rental will inevitably mean you incur costs.

Getting a satisfactory EICR is mandatory. so one of the costs you have to incur . My recommendation is get a local competent spark to undertake a thorough EICR and go from there

The property has no RCD protecting the circuits. Just MCB's
RCDs have been required on some circuits for well over 30 years, and most of the others for more than a decade.

The wiring is still in good condition
How do you know that?

I also heard that some electricians do NOT pass the EICR if i dont have RCD... and some do..
Some people who carry our EICRs are incompetent chancers who will write down any old nonsense after a quick glance at the property from a moving van.

No RCDs = not suitable for continued use.

OP - best you take a read of this:

As Flameport has already commented its poorly written, and has holes in it.

The legislation says inspect to 18th edition - we are now on 18th edition AMD 2 - and an inspector can use the C3 code to confirm that the item being inspected isn't installed to the current regs. Makes me wonder what happens when the 19th Edition gets released - I simply can't imagine legislation being updated

Its all a mess - but yes some might allow an installation without RCD's to be satisfactory BUT its now more than 20 years since RCD's were required for sockets so if you don't have RCD protection - you really should - this would be my advice to you when I present you with an Unsatisfactory EICR

Also bear in mind that if you plan to rent out the property as an HMO, more stringent regulations for the electrics, smoke and heat alarms, doors, emergency exits, emergency lights come into play as well (there are probably others but I avoid HMO's like the plague)

Also, once you have got your EICR take a look at this:

Last edited:
To get the fusebox and consumer unit changed for an all RCBO consumer unit when I moved here took 6 months, but with an EICR you are allowed 28 days, the last thing you want to do is have to pay for alternative accommodation while you wait for a new CU to be fitted. Get it done and out of the way.

It is not worth the hassle to try having the CU changed while occupied. Morally you know you should fit one, I have given the 4 reasons where a lack of RCD will be code C2, it is unlikely one of those will not be the case.

To get the fusebox and consumer unit changed for an all RCBO consumer unit when I moved here took 6 months, but with an EICR you are allowed 28 days, the last thing you want to do is have to pay for alternative accommodation while you wait for a new CU to be fitted. Get it done and out of the way.

It is not worth the hassle to try having the CU changed while occupied. Morally you know you should fit one, I have given the 4 reasons where a lack of RCD will be code C2, it is unlikely one of those will not be the case.

The 28 day rule only applies when the tenant is in the property, this does not apply if the property isn't rented out

The 28 day rule only applies when the tenant is in the property, this does not apply if the property isn't rented out
It's surely not just "the 28-day rule" that doesn't apply? If a property is currently not 'rented out', then none of the legislation in question applies - although the legislation has to be satisfied prior to any future 'renting out'.

In particular, if an EICR is undertaken on a property which is (currently) not being rented out, one is under no legal obligation to ever 'remedy' any alleged faults (coded as C1/C2/F1) it may have mentioned. Indeed, since there is also no obligation to show such an EICR to anyone, one is free to act as if it have never happened and get a further EICR undertaken if one is not happy with the first one (an option which seemingly does not exist when the property is rented out).

It's surely not just "the 28-day rule" that doesn't apply? If a property is currently not 'rented out', then none of the legislation in question applies - although the legislation has to be satisfied prior to any future 'renting out'.

In particular, if an EICR is undertaken on a property which is (currently) not being rented out, one is under no legal obligation to ever 'remedy' any alleged faults (coded as C1/C2/F1) it may have mentioned. Indeed, since there is also no obligation to show such an EICR to anyone, one is free to act as if it have never happened and get a further EICR undertaken if one is not happy with the first one (an option which seemingly does not exist when the property is rented out).

Quite correct but lots of people think otherwise.

There are so many people spouting absolute nonsense about the regs and the EICR rules. Even people on here who should know better.

For clarity if it is to be rented the 28 day rule doesn’t apply. It just needs to be satisfactory before the rental can start

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back