To replace or not to replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Really out of my depth here and hoping to get some advice.
So we have a roof which is a straight up and down which has a lot of moss growing, more on the front side than the back.
We have a lot of condensation in the bedrooms due to there not being a lining installed under the tiles and also no ventilation ( no vent tiles installed).

We don't have a leaking roof thankfully but the moss and condensation inside is a problem.

I had two people come to give me a quote (recommended from checkatrade) and they both gave me quite different options.

This first quoted me for a full roof replacement of main roof and extension. Reinstallation of insulation and laying full chipboard in the loft and vented fascia at front and rear and replacing guttering.
I must mention that this guy came into the house and looked inside the loft. £5500

The second looked front and back and advised that in his opinion the roof was fine and just needed to be power cleaned, broken tiles replaced, vent tiles installed, repointing and treated to prevent moss regrowth. £1400

As you can see different advice from both and significantly different prices. Um really confused what yo do and which option is best for us.

Please find some my pictures which may help.

Sponsored Links
1) Nothing wrong with your roof - do not allow anyone to pressure wash the roof tiles

2) If it's condensation inside the bedrooms is probably due to two things

a) Lack of ventilation/heat within the bedrooms
b) Lack of insulation in on top of the ceilings within the roof-space

3) Clean out the gutters and check that they all run freely

1) Nothing wrong with your roof - do not allow anyone to pressure wash the roof tiles

2) If it's condensation inside the bedrooms is probably due to two things

a) Lack of ventilation/heat within the bedrooms
b) Lack of insulation in on top of the ceilings within the roof-space

3) Clean out the gutters and check that they all run freely

Thanks for the response.
Ok so definitely won't let anyone do the pressure wash.

Ventilation in rooms isn't an issue. However the room in the picture never gets warm/hot even with the radiators on. Always stays cold. Rest of the house is fine.
We had insulation fitted in the left under the government scheme 2 years ago. Majority of the loft is not boarded.
I think you are right that in the loft/roof space meeting the ceiling there isn't any insulation. You can't actually access it as it angles down past the loft space.

Gutters were earned last year but this has been going on since 2 winters ago. We have been living here for 2 1/2 years.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Put a bigger rad in the room ;) The cost of the heat lost through the uninsulated ceiling is less £ than taking it down and putting celotex up then re boarding/plastering

Put a bigger rad in the room ;) The cost of the heat lost through the uninsulated ceiling is less £ than taking it down and putting celotex up then re boarding/plastering

Thanks for your reply.
I did have a slightly bigger rad but made no difference.

So you think get a quote for taking that part of the ceiling out add insulating and then reboard and plaster?

Any ideas what that may set me back?

Thanks

No need to take the old plaster down just board over with insulated plaster board and get it skimmed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back