dry ridge system and extra works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping for some advice,

We are in the process of buying a 1980s 3 bed house. We had a structual survey carried out that highlighted that the there was a number of roof tiles missing that needed action urgently. The ridge tiles could do with resetting and there is a lot of moss that really needs removing.

The seller had a roofer replace the missing cracked tiles so I am now just looking at the options for the other less urgent work.

The roofer has recommended going with a dry ridge system, I was also just wondering what options are available to stop the moss coming back if we pay to have it all removed?

any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Quote a roofer I spoke to recently:

"Dry ridge jobs are great, but they're so fast to do it feels kinda wrong charging what we do for em, so we tend to mess around for a few hours extra on each job making it look like we're doing work just so the client doesn't feel shafted, paying what they pay for a couple of hours work"

At least he was honest!

I was also just wondering what options are available to stop the moss coming back
Cut down all trees adjacent to the property..

Cut down all trees adjacent to the property..

It might help if there are trees close to the house. I got rid of the trees near mine, but I still get some moss on the north facing side.

Don't be tempted to get a company in, who will pressure-wash the moss off, they tend to do a lot of damage. Rain washed bare copper, will eventually kill off any moss (copper sulphate), and prevent regrowth - just fix copper along the top of the roof slope.

Sponsored Links
I was once gifted a "connect to the hose pipe" container of something called Wet&Forget which is supposed to kill off plant/algal growth such that the rain washes the surface clean. I've yet to try it but I did note that a weep hole in a limestone wall that was emitting some rainwater leaking in further up, had a nice clean triangle pointing up to the base of the weep hole..

..as such I dare say that Harry's got a good tip there, to install something that will be toxic to the plant life downstream (in a rainwater sense) of the installed substance. If hosepipe-applied herbicides work for paths and patios they may be roof applicable from the ground or a ladder without walking round on the roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back