to replace plasterboards in bathroom leak or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new build and found out the toilet tank has been leaking for a loong time (most recently about 3 litres/day!) and all this was behind the wall so couldn't be seen. The tank, along with pipes to the sink and the shower are enclosed within a space that stays out of sight behind the tiling. This emtpy space runs alongside the bathroom and on the bathroom side is woodboard/plasterboard/tile combination and on the exterior side is only plasterboard. Plasterboards are the water-resistant kind.

The issue is the water has been leaking for so long that even the water-resistant boards got soaked and grew mold on them (up to about 50cm off the floor). Also the water has slowly leaked along the concrete floor into the hallway where it made the regular plasterboards go moldy and wharped the wood laminate floor.

My dilemma is to simply clean up the area that can be seen (mostly in the hallway) and be done with it or to rip the tiling and the plasterboards from the bathroom and replace them. I read that mould is a serious issue even if it is stays behind the tiles. Building insurance may pick up the tab but I am not sure yet.

any tips?

Sponsored Links
Contact your Buildings Insurance now if you are thinking of making a claim. They would need to send a Surveyor around to inspect what needs to be done. There should be no need to do any DIY if the claim is valid.

Please check you Buildings Insurance to check that leaks are covered and hopefully save yourself a lot of aggrevation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back