To rip it out and start again - or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I literally just finished plumbing in new shower, using plastic polypipe and brass compression joints with copper olives and pipe inserts (about 20 in total).

The system has water pressure in it now and there are no leaks so all good.

Except the very next day I happen to be talking to two professional plumbers who both told me that 'cross breeding' plastic pipe and brass fittings was a no go.

I still haven't finished the boxing in so I could in theory rip out the pipe work and replace with all plastic (the pipes in the floor are plastic) relatively easily (emotional pain and frustration aside!)

So any experience of 'cross breeding' plastic and brass - any horror stories?

For peace of mind I am tempted to do the work. It's just quite annoying to go back over old ground.....

Any experience / thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
As an amateur I tried a few times but don't do it.

We have a house plumbed in JG speedfit and there were some compression connections when we bought it. In the work I have done I have never managed to get one leak free (using copper olives as required by JG). I tend to use a JG straight connection to switch from JG to a few inches of copper pipe and put the compression fitting on the copper.

Uses more fittings and takes longer but gives me confidence it won't leak.

Trouble is the plastic can 'creep' over time resulting in leaks. I think you have three options, replace with push-fit, do it in copper, or monitor periodically.

Sponsored Links
If you must box it in then at least make it removable for inspection.

I have never had a problem with compression on plastic but then I don't use much plastic pipe.

Tony

I would try to minimise any joins in an inaccessible place.
20 joints is just frightening.
I would only consider using copper bent and soldered to minimise
joints in an area like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back