To round or go staright ?

M

marsaday

View media item 34945
In the above pic i want to ideally make a flat top finish. Do you think it is achieveable or should i go with the rounded finish.

View media item 34946
In this pic i have to really go for a flat finish

I have bought an adjustable trowel to plaster at an angle, but i was hoping to do the tops first and then do the sloping roofs.

Do i need to do all together ?

Sponsored Links
in the first picure you can see that the line is not straight as it could be and would look better rounded so i would opt for rounded edges in the second pitcure you have a straight edge on the straight wall and i would do a curved edge on the slope
"EDIT" looks like some of the joints are uneven you may want to dub them out before you skim

rounding is easier mate i know it sounds daunting but honestly once you have got the wrist action and pressure on the trowel right you will fly through it, trust me im a ..............doctor?? ( im not)
you can learn how to curve them by bonding the curve out first this will give you the basic idea if how to curve the plaster, please remember to skrim the joints before you dub the curve out though, not that you wnt but ive seen it before where a guy skimmed a lovley curve but forgot to skrim it and it cracked like made and i had to hack it all out re skrim and bond and skim the whole thing again

Sponsored Links
rounding is easier mate i know it sounds daunting but honestly once you have got the wrist action and pressure on the trowel right you will fly through it, trust me im a ..............doctor?? ( im not)
you can learn how to curve them by bonding the curve out first this will give you the basic idea if how to curve the plaster, please remember to skrim the joints before you dub the curve out though, not that you wnt but ive seen it before where a guy skimmed a lovley curve but forgot to skrim it and it cracked like made and i had to hack it all out re skrim and bond and skim the whole thing again

As per this and steve above . For a straight line it has to be straight, so rounding it is best option

Ok, my lines are not perfectly straight so i will have to round.

I will try doing the half room first, as this will be easier than doing the full room with 2 slopes and the top.

If i make my curve with bonding can this be done the day before and then let it dry out ?

Someone has said i need to "dub" out the lines. What do you use to do this with. Is this just done on the day with plaster and then you start plastering after you have "dubbed" ?

Ok, so i could try doing a straight line first with bonding and then do it straight. Lots to think about.

thb i prefer curved but yeah if you want to try to get it straight you can , try stringing a chaulk like accross it (down the length) this will show the lows and highs so you know what you bonding to and give you a straight line to skim afterwards

I am going for curved, but am getting a plasterer to help me.

We will use bonding before the skim to get the round edge.

Question: Before we do the work is it a good idea to skrim the edge AND use some easifil to set the scrim in place. Or do i just leave the bonding to do this ?

Time is not a problem and so i would prefer to do the best job possible

I would put a bit of gear on first and bed the scrim into this, other wise you run the risk of the scrim falling down either by

a - weight of the bonding

b - you catching it with your trowel accidentally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back