Plastering the top section of an attic

M

marsaday

I am converting my attic and i have sloping ceilings. I have boarded out the top of the roof flat and it is about 50cm wide.

I understand lots of people choose to round this change from sloping section into the flat bit and i wondered why people do this. Is it for looks? I was thinking of just plastering it all flat. This will make my life easier as i can then do the sections seperatley as opposed to the 2 sides and the top bit all in one go.

Any pros/cons of both methods would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
ermm i dnt think thiers any real advantages to doin the roll there is a down side but it could happen if you didnt roll it.
the down side is cracking along the join through the bonding and the plaster if you roll it but aslong as you put plenty of skrim over the joint there wnt be a problem.
haveing the roll is just for effect really.
although if you kept it as a flat joint the chances are if you stood at the end of the room the line would be a bit wobbly but if you roll it then it will be straighter and hardly noticable if there is a slight wobble

To be honest Marsy, it's far easier to round the sloping walls in with the ceiling. I normally plaster from the bottom of one sloping wall, right up and over the ceiling, to the bottom of the other sloping wall. From there, i'd plaster it square along the joint, down to the skirting line.
It's harder trying to get a square line along the ceiling, than it is to round it over, and you can also disguise any bad mishapen lines.

there you go thats what i was trying to say just couldnt get the words out :LOL: .
RC nice to have you back mate i dnt think ive seen you in a couple of days mate

Sponsored Links
Ok, so if i go flat my line will be a bit wonky. The only think is i will need someones help if i decide to go for doing it all in one go and rounding it off. Each sloping panel is 3.6m wide x 1.7m high. Then i have to do the top section. So all in all it will be a big job to do in one go.

If i do go for a round style can this be formed before i do all the plastering ? if so how do i do it. My mate said you just keep adding plaster and build it up in layers. but i cant do this as well as plastering 2 sloping walls.

cheers for the info.

right where you are goin to form the roll make sure you have put plenty of skrim over the crack then mix up some bonding and form it out of bonding the way i usually apply it is to start bout4 inches or so before the join pull back towards me 4 inches or so onto the adjoining surface the roll the trowel back to whre you started in one swift movement.
this way you avoid bulkin up one particular edge and keep it even throughout.
sorry its hard to describe does that make any sense ;)

yes it makes sense, but what is bonding ? plus do i let this go off and then skim the next day ?

sorry bonding coat is a backing coat commonly used with plaster as a base coat u can get it at any builders merchant or shed. usually comes in the same bag as multi except where the multi is orange and white bonding is purple and white. made by thistle same as multi finish.
you can plaster on to it once its dry just make sure you give it 2 coats or diluted pva first.
have you ever attempted to do this sort of thing before?

Well i can plaster onto board no problem. Also done base coat plastering and then skim on a brick wall. again no problem.

Just never used bonding before. Still a bit nervous about trying the curve and may well pay a plasterer to do this section.

cheers for info

offer the plasterer a deal that you labour for him make sure you tell him you can plaster just not to sure bout doin the curve that way he knows you can knock up and you can have a go at trying the curve and yor spread will be there to save ya if needs be.
any more questions just swing by and let us know how it goes for ya.
good luck pal

yes thats what i am thinking of doing. my mate is a builder and would do it no probs with me, but we moved away 3 yrs ago so i dont know anyone round here. another lad in this area has a plasterer so i may ask him though.
cheers

disguise any bad mishapen lines.
i round these angles as well but i have tip that you can use to get rid of wonky lines on internal angles, mix up some easyfill and get your twitcher, load the twitcher and run it along the angle the v shaped twitcher is best for this rather than the box twitcher

disguise any bad mishapen lines.
i round these angles as well but i have tip that you can use to get rid of wonky lines on internal angles, mix up some easyfill and get your twitcher, load the twitcher and run it along the angle the v shaped twitcher is best for this rather than the box twitcher

Hi Steve

Can this easyfill be left to go off and then you skim the next day ?

What is a twitcher by the way ?

Cheers

i think steve ment you twitch it in after you have skimmed it, if you really dnt want to roll it then i suggest you buy an adjustable twitcher you can get a marshaltown one off ebay new for about 15 quid, i bought one and it straightens out the joints lovley but make sure you run it through after every coat and then whilst you troweling it up to make sure its straight.
to be honest i would still roll it.
a twitcher is and internal corner trowel heres a link so you know what your looking for
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshalltown-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5629f2d8b4
and heres one thats not adjustable.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshalltown-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0a9e366a

if you dnt want to roll it then get an adjustable one its a hell of alot easier lay on the first coat the set it to the required angle and run it through, then just pull the lines it leaves out with your trowel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Right thanks for this.

The other section of space in the attic is divided by a wall, so the top flat section is halved in size. This is really where i think a straight top will be better than having just one rounded side (the other side hits the dividing wall if you can picture what i describe).

So i will try this on here and see how i get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back