To skip or not to skip.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to demolish a single story extension before a new extension is erected. It's quiet a big extension and I need advice on waste removal.

What is best to get a large 40c roll off skip or just the standard large skips. Large skips are approx £160 in my area and a roll off is £130 delivery and £110 per tonne. My issue is I don't know how much tonnage in total it would be. I would say approx 10-15 large skips required and one 40c skip.

Does anyone know maximum tonne that a 40c roll off skip can hold which will be mostly bricks?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
don't forget - 40 cube skips are a bugger to load - try lifting a barrow full of bricks over the top!

40yd bin approx 15-16 tonnes. For rubble only you don't want anything bigger than a 20 yd, that, full, should be just about within tolerance for the gross weight of the truck.

I'd go for a big bin for all your lightweight, non inert stuff like wood etc, and keep the rubble strictly separate in smaller skips. If you can achieve this and convince the skip hire company of your intentions, they may offer a discount on the rubble bins. Clean rubble can go straight for crushing, no sorting required.

Possibly worth keeping wood separate too if possible, again, clean wood can go straight for reprocessing, no sorting needed.

Sponsored Links
Use a grab lorry for rubble and bricks and use a large volume skip for the lighter stuff i.e. timber, chipboard, ply, plasterboard etc.

We filled one of the large volume skips with lightweight rubbish but then used a 3 tonne digger bucket to crush it all down. We did this three times in total. Should have seen the skip waggon trying to lift it! :eek: :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back