To Spur or Not To Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We are about to redecorate our bedroom and as part of the redecoration I want to move 2 plugs. They are both on a ring main and there is one either side of our bed. However they are not easily accessible so I want to move them both a distance of about 1-2ft. I can see that I have 2 options and both are equally valid but I wanted to get some professionals advice as to whether one way is more "acceptable".

Both sockets are sunken into the wall so I can either buy a new socket then chock block two lengths of cable to extend the ring. the old socket would be covered with a blanking plate to allow access to the joint.

The second option is to buy a new socket then using a chock block to run a single cable from the ring in the old socket to spur the new socket in the new location.

Our walls are made from insulated plasterboard cavities so I would propose to pull the cables through the cavity

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
if they're cavity walls can you not pull enough cable through to not need to extend the cable?

If you are happy with 2x faceplates then take 1x 2.5mm away from each to each new so ket position. 3 way join at the old socket boxes and you have 2x unused spurs direct from the main ring and at different points.

That is fine.

Not the best (requiring looking under floor for source / existing cables and pulling back some and renewing others) solution, but within the scope of DIY, ok.

Thanks for the replies. I dont know how much slack is in the cable. Knowing our builders probably not a lot. If I can wire without the join then Im happy to pull and plaster over the gap. I would rather not have 2 plates but I appreciate that I may need to get in to maintain the chock block join.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone recommend a crimping tool so that i can plaster over the joint please?

If you haven't done it, a lot, before, I wouldn't recommend crimping, there is a technique to it.

You are much better off creating a bit more of a mess now before you decorate to do it properly (i.e. relocate / replace the cable) then to have it fail in x amount of time and have to bash a hole in the wall to repair it.

If you're going to crimp you will still need to enclose the joint so it's double insulated, i.e. in a suitable enclosure. I would also heatshrink over the joint to be on the safe side

http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...l-for-0-5mm----6-0mm--pre-insulated-terminals

Seriously? A 10 year old could crimp!
Funny you should say that. I was about that age when me Dad let me have a go with a punch and die set (home made) in a "portable vice".

Five years prior to that I was taught how to solder copper pipes/joints.

The problem with plastering over is not the crimping or insulating it's that the cable becomes no longer within the safe zones as you have removed the box showing where the cable runs.

I have a socket behind a radiator originally fitted with intention of using a myson radiator but left in place purely to show there are cables there.

As to block connector and blanking plate why. Would the socket not blank it well enough and it also has good quality terminals.

I have in the past removed blanking plates and scratched my head to work out what I was looking at. In one case it turned out to be a call system which was never used. At least with an unused socket you do know what it is.

The other option is replace the socket with a FCU that way if you want to extend to more than one socket there is nothing to stop you.

Well this was successfully finished. the wiring was top down which I was surprised about. As I was moving the plugs up and across slightly I didnt need to joint. Picture of finished article attached. Thnks for your help!
View media item 55324

Glad to hear that you problem was resolved and with cable running vertically downwards, any easier one to resolve.

Also good for you to post back with finished work. Although I did not contribute to this post, it is welcome feedback.

Funny you should say that. I was about that age when me Dad let me have a go with a punch and die set (home made) in a "portable vice".

Five years prior to that I was taught how to solder copper pipes/joints.
He let a 5-year old use a blowtorch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back