To Velux or not to Velux, that is the question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can you please share your opinions!

I have ordered my new frames and doors to replace me conservatory and will be building the roof from timber, The width of the conny is 5.9M and depth is 2.6M and the current roof is 2.9M, so a 300mm difference, ill calculate the existing pitch shortly but what i want to know is...

Do i install Velux's in or not! this has been a very cold or hot drafty conny since we moved in 12 months ago but we need to use it on a daily basis as the only way to the kitchen, downstairs loo, utility and garage is through it! it also is the only natural light source for our lounge which has a huge sliding patio door into the conny. i am a bit worried that not having Velux windows will limit the light in the room and ill regret later on but then i have the missus saying, "Im not too fussesd, its your call" then i think well i can save best part of £850 on a pair of Velux's to go on the finishing and decor.

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
The new generation range of VELUX windows are built to be a lot more energy efficient - more so than you average double glazed window - and will add a lot more daylight to your room than vertical windows. They're a great investment if you plan on spending time in the space.

If you're worried about the thermal efficiency of your installation, you could use VELUX BDX 2000 insulation collars (from £25). The BDX will eliminate cold bridges and reduce heat loss from your extension. In the summer, you can open your windows to create a draught that goes through your home, helping to keep it comfortable.

There are cheaper alternatives to VELUX windows, such as RoofLITE. RoofLITE's basically a sister company of VELUX but products are a lot cheaper.

When you speak to a company, ask about the window's U-values (the lower the better) so you can ensure you don't lose too much heat through your installation. Also, ask whether they price match to be the lowest online and if you get free delivery for your order. This will help keep your costs down. :mrgreen:

That's just about the most badly veiled bit of spam I have seen for a long time

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your POV, Chappers. I was just trying to help given I have a huge amount of knowledge to share. I have contacted the site owners for advice on posting useful information as the T&Cs are lacking but haven't heard back from them.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back